Santa Rosa Macbook Pro and Windows 7 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Link00seven, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Link00seven macrumors regular

Hello all,

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz Santa Rosa (July 2007 model) and I was just wondering if it would be possible to use the 64-bit version of Windows 7. When I tried the Beta & RC's I had no problems with 32-bit but I could never get drivers to work for 64-bit and I was wondering if drivers now exist, or will they exist once Apple "officially" updates BootCamp to support Windows 7.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been running the 64-bit RTM using the BootCamp 3.0 drivers. You need to elevate the BootCamp64.msi from a command prompt though.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

There may be more problems with Seven-64. The MBP has EFI32 and that will probably require Jowie's tweak for the ISO to install.

Bootcamp64.msi should be made compatible and user account control may have to be disactivated and rebooted.

4. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh okay I remember having to use Jowie's tweak when I installed the 64-bit RC.

Where are the Bootcamp 3 drivers located? On my Snow Leopard disk or can they be downloaded from Apple? What do you mean by "elevate" the BootCamp64.msi?

5. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

the only place apple provides the 3.0 drivers is on the install disc

and by elevate i assume he means running command prompt as an admin and running BootCamp64.msi

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The installer should work just fine on the Macbook Pro without any workarounds. My MacBook is unsupported by Apple under 64-bit Windows but I know that is fully capable in reality.

They must have wanted me to spend more money on the MacBook Pro. The Santa Rosa and later based notebook hardware is uses EFI64.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Even if bootcamp will not run to install the drivers you should be able to navigate through the files and install the drivers manually. That is what I did with my 2007 Macbook. Most functionality should be available straight from installing Windows.

If you don't know which drivers to install. Just run all the installers. Windows will only use the drivers that are actually compatible with the hardware on your computer.

Everything seems to work except two finger scrolling and right click so I will need to find a workaround for that.

8. powz macrumors regular

Wow, I thought I was the only one trying to run Win 7 64 bit on the "ancient" SR MBP!

For those who got Boot Camp 3 working, could you share the exact steps? I ran BC 3 but there were some unsigned drivers that never installed...and then when I restarted Windows there would be an error and all the drivers would be rolled back. I did get Boot Camp 2.01 and 2.1 but want to latest BC 3 drivers.

Also, has anyone else found the audio drivers pretty weak? I have to crank up my speakers to full volume to even hear anything.

Could you provide a step-by-step?

Thanks for any help!

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

right click on command prompt and select run as administrator then enter these 3 commands (change the first line with the appropriate letter if your optical drive is mapped with a different letter than D: )

cd /d D:

cd Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple

BootCamp64.msi

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'm going to try that on my Macbook. Or is two finger click and scrolling not supported in Windows 7 from the current drivers?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It works on my Macbook Santa Rosa just fine. I had to run the installer using an elevated command prompt though.

webgoat was so kind as to post the instructions.

12. powz macrumors regular

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I can confirm this works on a late 2006 Core 2 Duo White Macbook running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium with the Snow Leopard Bootcamp drivers.

14. blazerdude20 macrumors member

dude you're a savior! i just did this on my early 2009 macbook (2ghz, 2gb ram) and now it runs windows 7 64bit great. sound works, track pad, gestures... sweet!

oh and if you cant get right click working in windows, just download this file: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Multi_Touch_Trackpad_Update_1_1_for_Windows

it works even though it doesn't list w7