Santa Rosa MacBook this Summer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scrambledwonder, Apr 20, 2007.

1. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

So what do you think, will the new Santa Rosa MacBooks be released this summer? Or more like this Winter? Trying to decide whether it's worth the wait. Using a 12-inch 1GHz PowerBook G4 now. . .

Thanks!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

depends on which hemisphere you live on :rolleyes:

it really comes down to need. Does your PowerBook fulfill your needs now, or do you desperately need an upgrade?

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Santa Rosa Macbook Pros (see sig) will be released in Winter, namely the 11th of June. Macbooks late July early August. iMacs at same time as MBP.

In future, please search threads before making a new one. :rolleyes:

4. scrambledwonder thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, sorry. My bad.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I would expect SR MBPs in July and MacBooks in July to early August.

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As if we didn't have enough of these threads yet... :p

7. branharrison6 macrumors member

Ok so we have a pretty good idea of release dates for these. My question is, with the addition of Santa Rosa to the Macbook will it really be THAT much better than the current Macbook? Or do you see them updating other specs of the MB? I Want to make a purchase sometime this summer and if the only upgrade this summer likely coming is the Santa Rosa upgrade then is SR REALLY worth waiting for? Would it make a noticeable differrence? Or again, will Apple likely upgrade other aspects of the MB?

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

Again, do searches.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2007/04/17/Intel-Santa-Rosa-Revealed/p1

Read it.

9. scrambledwonder thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Personally, I'm most impressed with the Intel Advanced Dynamic speed boost thing. I like the idea of my 2.4GHz Merom running one of its cores at 3.4GHz...

Also, SSD drives are incredibly expensive, and won't be in MBs or MBPs for a few years yet due to cost reasons. A gig or so of flash memory on a big, fat chip is much cheaper than 256GB of the stuff jammed into a 2.5" HDD case.

11. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

Well if I was an evil Admn, I'd just fold them all into 'official waiting' for Santa Rosa. Then when those come out, there's the 'official waiting' for Penryn, and 'Official waiting for XXX' and so on ;), would not that be fun?
    :D

12. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

No, we have two posters here that claim to know something everyone else does not, LOL. It's called speculation, and pure conjecture on their parts- not worth anymore than anyone else's opinion on MR. All we know is that Intel has stated that the Santa Rosa platform chipset laptops will be shipping next month (May), and that several manufacturers have announced SR based laptops to be shipped in May, ahead of Intel's 'official' "grand opening" announcement. When Apple ships or announces either a MBP, MB, or iMac based SR system is anybody's guess right now. We hope it will be as soon as the PC world.

Will it make a noticeable difference? That depends on what you subjectively consider noticeable?

13. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

Think you're confusing the Penryn enhancements to come later. For gaming, that specialized next gen chip in the Penryn family (probably will have a separate code/nickname) which Apple will probably not use, LOL. That specialized chip will be overclockable with Intel's blessing. Of course it's up to the manufacturer (no gonna happen with Apple) to make sure the system doesn't overheat and meltdown when overclocked for gaming systems.

SSD drives are more expensive than HD's and most likely will be for the forseable future (unless you're a teenager now ;) ). Robson provides less of a performance boost, and as such is kind of a stopgap for perhaps a couple of years until SSD comes into economy of scale and replaces HD in laptops (proabably will take a decade or some huge tech advancement to make them cost effective in desktops ). Sandisk's 32GB SSD is currently $350 OEM.

Samsung has announced, but hasn't yet shipped a 64GB SSD, but it is likely to be priced more than the Sandisk 32GB of same performance levels (which are comparable or better than current 7.2k 160GB HD's). If we are really lucky, 128GB SSD might ship by the end of the year, but they will most likely be much more expensive for a time, than $350. So with 200GB 7.2k Hitachi laptop drive supposedly shipping this year, SSD will remain an expensive option, that Apple may not even offer this year.

No MB is going to ship with an SSD as a standard (no options as is Apple's usual procedure ;) ) drive this year, unless the prices drop dramatically. It is possible you might see an SSD drive option for a MBP, but it would all depend on the capacity price ratio.

14. protocol7 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping for an update so I can finally get a MBP

15. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Damn. You cought me out. ;)

I still think the odds are firmly in my favour.

And about the single core overclock, I believe you will find in that other thread that the site that explains santa rosa includes this feature immediately. Also, the 3 or so notebooks that have already been announced also claim to have this feature. Using Merom CPUs of course.

16. scrambledwonder thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I see. . . that old bad boy named Cost. Always causing trouble, isn't he?

So Santa Rosa with a gig of flash memory on-board or on a swappable card (as shown on Intel's site, something like a RAM chip) will make a big difference in system performance for us multi-taskers who open and close lots of different programs all the time. Excellent. Suppose I can wait till June to get something. . . Hopefully the MBP will have a better screen by then too. Oh, and a Searl Effect generator, of course.;)