Santa Rosa Macbook with 4GB getting pinwheel of doom on simple tasks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mach1andy, Dec 22, 2007.

1. mach1andy macrumors regular

I have the latest Macbook (2.2 GHZ C2D) with 4 GB of ram and it was fast as all fury until I did the Security Updates 1 and 1.1 respectively. Now, even going to a simple website like bestbuy.com causes the pinwheel of doom to show up and hang for 10 or 15 seconds.

I have tried resetting the Pram (APL OPT P R) on startup and repairing the disk permissions but it didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any advice for troubleshooting this issue or have experienced anything like it? It was running so damn well too!:confused:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Try changing your DNS servers to OpenDNS's

3. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. So what will that do and is is as secure as whatever the default settings are?

4. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like its worth a shot, can you give me a quick step by step :) Sorry to be a pain in the @ss!

5. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't work...

That (sadly) didn't help it. Its like it happens even without doing something on the internet. Any other ideas?

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

Did you buy quality RAM?

Run a memory test 'burn-in' program and check for errors.

Maybe you got bum RAM.

7. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

I ram memtest but it stopped after a few seconds saying it can't recognize anything bigger than 3.2 GB and I have 2x2GB. Any other programs you'd recommend?

8. jnash macrumors regular

I am not sure of any other programs, but if you can remove the new ram you installed and try running your mb with the original ram, thats the best and quickest way you will know if you have defective ram or not, sometimes it takes memtest hours before it discovers the ram is bad.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Run console.app and check the logs.

could be running something that is erroring out all the time.

10. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

I second that, could be a rouge background process.

11. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

I ran console.app but I'm not sure what I'm looking for here in this megalog :) Anything in particular to look for?

12. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

System starter bug?

I found these 2 reoccurring bugs.. The first one had about 300 occurrences...

12/22/07 11:47:15 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.

12/22/07 11:06:05 AM com.apple.WindowServer[50] mach_msg (CGXKickEventHandler) failed (ipc/send) timed out

So what is system starter and how to i debug it?

13. rhyndu macrumors regular

System Starter is (if I remember correctly) the Apple process that MACOSX uses to start all of your startup items, LoginWindow (which handles everything from the login window and keeping you logged in to application authentication to screensaver lock authentication), and possible a few other keepalive apps (like Finder or Dock.)

That shouldn't cause big pauses. Does this happen only when you browse via Safari as I can easily see Safari with a few tabs getting up to 2GB of memory - it is such a memory hog.

And thirdly, people need to remember that the Beachball is simply Apple's busy curser. It replaces the mouse after about 2.5 seconds of OSX needing to do something complicated. If you are getting it a lot, it might mean a problem with your machine or OSX, but most likely it just means that you have lots of apps running and MacOSX is juggling the memory around between them - which takes time.

This same thing happens with Windows. The Beachball is much more comparable to a Windows Hourglass Curser (does Vista still have that? I seem to remember a switch to an Ubuntu style..) than a Blue Screen of Death or even an error message.

~no offence wanted: rhyndu

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

clear out all your caches, both system and user and see if that helps. To clear cache i use an app called MainMenu. It'll also allow you remove corrupted preferences and such. Others use Onyx or Leopard Cache Cleaner for this

Another thing to try is SafariSpeed which disables page loading delay.

Main main menu and onyx are free with the last two being shareware. Also have you reset Safari itself?

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

SafariSpeed is the biggest scam, i can't believe they have the balls to charge people for that. The developers of Safari came out and said that setting has absolutely no effect on the browser whatsoever.

16. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

I cleared the user and system caches along with safari's cache and its still hanging. Plus I've cleared our the PRAM, PMU & repaired both disk permissions and verified disk. I'm calling tech support now to see if they can recommend anything else.

Now, right before I get that long error message in Console, I see

12/23/07 10:05:38 AM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/speedit.kext: no such bundle file exists

Anyone recognize this?

Thanks for all of your help!

17. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

The Apple support tech told me to do an archive and install without the printer drivers that come on the disk and then go to HP and download the one I need. This seems a bit backwards. Anyone else want to take a crack at it before I plant myself for the afternoon?

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I personally would backup and do an erase and install but thats just me. If you do an erase and install make sure you install all software updates before copying your files over/installing your apps

Why would they put it there knowing it doesn't work. Isn't that illegal?

19. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

So if I erase and install, whats the best way to get my stuff back with my user directory? If i archive and install, wont that install a clean system and then bring all of my applications, docs and settings back?

20. rhyndu macrumors regular

Archive & Install will, depending on what options you choose, either move everything from your old HD to a folder and install or move everything from your old install back after doing a clean install.

What log file are you getting these errors in? I am assuming system.log?

And I don't think the printer drivers are really the problem. If Apple thinks printer drivers are the problem, you could always get rid of them without doing an install by navigating to Macintosh HD -> Library -> Printers, selecting all the printers other than hp (I am assuming this is the printer you have) and throwing them out, or move them to another directory. Then open hp and remove all files except the thing that has your printer's model number on it. Restart your computer, and all should be good (if printer drivers really are the problem. This will have the same effect as an Archiver&Install + Removing Unnesssary Printer Drivers.

I wouldn't do a clean install yet.

And even if this doens't fix it (which I don't think it will) if you create a copy of your system.log file, I may be able to find what is going on...

21. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Sorry to repeat what's already been said, but have you tried different RAM? I couldn't see if you'd mentioned trying that, so apologies if you've mentioned checking it already.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely a failed update, the speedit.kext seems to be the remnant of the temp/fan control program resurfacing.

If you have repaired permissions already.

About the last thing I'd try before running to some of the more drastic stuff is rebuilding the boot cache.

"sudo update_dyld_shared_cache" in Terminal.app

Then restart the machine.

And maybe try downloading the Security Update 1.1 again from apple/support/downloads before starting with an archive and install.

23. rhyndu macrumors regular

Also: have you ever installed some sort of temperature monitoring application on your MB? That seems like what speedit is (kext stands for kern extension).

Did Leopard come on your machine? If not, did you update or clean install on your computer?

24. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Leopard came on my machine and yes, I installed istat nano and menus a while back but then uninstalled them earlier today.

I did do the install and archive and still seem to be getting this message (see photo)

Attached Files:

25. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

I tried this command in Terminal but got this message:

update_dyld_shared_cache[250] current cache invalid because /System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/QTKit has changed

update_dyld_shared_cache[250] current cache invalid because /System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/QTKit has changed