Santa Rosa MBP-Faulty Logic Board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SubaruNation555, Feb 8, 2009.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Computer:
    2.2GHz "Santa Rosa" MBP running 10.5.6

Not functioning:
    -LED backlighting
    -Left USB port
    -Audio out port
    -Airport card
    -Built-in speakers

The computer is no longer under warranty so I disassembled the laptop, checked all the connections and everything seems to be in order. I also swapped out the RAM for the original sticks. The laptop boots up and functions normally aside from the issues above. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Thanks.

2. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems it would be the left I/O board as it controls all the things that are not currently working. Do you think it's worth it to pay the $90 for the part at ifixit.com or go through American Express warranty services?

3. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Amex wants me to forward them an estimate from Apple for the repair. Any idea if I can just make an appointment and have them do the estimate in the store while I wait? How much do you think they would charge for the estimate? Thanks.

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Make a reservation at the Genius Bar www.apple.com/retail and choose your local store. They will diagnose and give an estimate for free...but probably not while you wait.

Though they may just tell you it's the entire logic board unless you specifically mention that certain part you spoke of.