Santa Rosa MBP - screen freezes, computer crashes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tpth, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tpth macrumors member

Hey y'all, I have a 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro, one of the Santa Rosa models with the 8600M GT. It's run perfectly for nearly two years – up until about two weeks ago. Since then, it's experienced three pretty drastic system-wide crashes. Each time, the screen flashes white three times and freezes, requiring a hard reset - the mouse still moves, but the computer doesn't recognise any input. Curiously, each time I've reset, the computer has had an instant kernel panic at the white boot screen with the Apple logo, requiring another hard reset. After this it's booted fine.

Each time I've had a reasonable amount of stuff running – Safari with, say, 15 tabs, Quicksilver, Ableton Live 8, Newsfire, iTunes, iCal – but nothing excessive. I can't really make head or tail of the panic logs, but each of them seem similar, and all mention kernel extensions com.apple.NVDAResman and com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily repeatedly.

I've also had a coupla other occasions where vertical lines have flashed down the screen momentarily. Am I right in thinking this is all most likely related to the graphics card starting to die? Any ideas?

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Most likely.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Definitely being caused by graphics faiure. I'd get it checked out as soon as possible. It's days are numbered.

4. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I'm with the other replies - your GPU has shown you it is about to die. Just go ahead and take it in now.

5. tpth thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm - thanks all. And given this is the dreaded 8600M GT, I guess the best I can hope for is that the replacement part doesn't do this again. Eeep.