Santa Rosa MB's!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smadd, Nov 6, 2007.

1. smadd macrumors newbie

I just got mine today. Fantastic. I don't recommend running Tiger on it. The graphics drivers aren't there and it looks horrible. I imagine this will be fixed in 10.4.11.

So, I put Leopard on (I was going to wait for 10.5.1, but I need everything to function). It's a BIG step up from the 2.16 models.

I don't have any benchmarks for you. But I can tell you that the mid-range 2.2 with one 2GB chip in it is SO much faster that the 2.16. You can immediately tell the difference. (important to note I am using a Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB drive). I had the exact same configuration in a 15" MBP 2.2 SR, and I honestly can't tell the difference between the two. Just fast fast fast. I have aMBP 2.2 similarly configured (drive and RAM) as well as a 2.16 to compare the SRMB 2.2 to.). And no, I don't own the other two - I use them at work.

NO screen problems, no nothing. It's just fast. Battery time is no different.

Video resolution up to 1280x800 on display (haven't hooked it up to my HDTV plasma yet, but will soon). I thought I would be disappointed by the "no-LED" screen, but it's still great for the price.

Also, they have re-vamped the keyboard a bit in terms of Function key layout across the top. Set up for a bigger multimedia machine feel in terms of icon and location of buttons (brightness, volume, play, rewind, forward - you have to see it to really get it). And the command key has no apple on it :(, but they made icons and text bigger on the keys, which I think is a good thing for new-to-Mac folks, and for us old hacks, it's not that noticeable.

I am going to hold off on putting vista on via boot camp for a bit only because I don't need it. Interesting to note though is that Windows drivers for the X3100 video allow for more video RAM from the system RAM than the Mac OS drivers. Oh well. 144MB is good enough for me.

That's all I have to report so far, but it's fantastic. I was waiting for a SR Macbook to get my own, and with the exact same guts as the entry MBP (minus dedicated video) I'm really happy with the price for the performance.

2. smadd thread starter macrumors newbie

Also:

P.S. I can't wait to get a second 2GB chip to access the dual channel RAM functionality. At that point, it'll just be sick.