Santa Rosa: really that significant?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alana22, Apr 12, 2007.

1. alana22 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm new posting here although I read this site quite a bit. This last week I read through all the "should I wait or not" threads I could find, etc, etc. I generally have a decent idea about the current state of Macs and what possible updates could be around the corner between June and early autumn. My question is this:

I am considering buying a black Macbook this week. The main things I will use it for are taking notes in class, internet/email, listening to music and some occasional graphic stuff with Adobe (nothing too serious). From what I've read now, it seems that nothing coming with Santa Rosa is going to be mindblowingly incredible, right? I mean, everyone was jumping with joy with C2D dropped, but a few months later everyone is saying to wait for Santa Rosa (and of course, when Penryn comes in 08 everyone will be saying not to get a Santa Rosa MB, etc).

Do you see what I'm getting at here? I mean, it's not like a Macbook with 120gig HD, 2g Ram and Santa Rosa is going to last me for the next 3-4 years while a system with the same setup except a 2.0ghz C2D instead of Santa Rosa will only last a few months. In fact, I'd venture to say that the moment the C2D starts to show its age, a system with the same specs and Santa Rosa will also show its age around the same time. I guess what I'm so vexxed about is why this forum is placing such a heavy importance on Santa Rosa when nothing I've read seems to indicate it will be a very significant upgrade over C2D.

I do know about the Leopard situation, and getting a copy of that when it comes out is not a problem. My main question here was regarding Santa Rosa. I see a lot of comments here telling prospective buyers to wait for Santa Rosa or else they will regret it, but I'm just trying to pinpoint what the exact regret would be. Santa Rosa is great and all, it is an upgrade... but is it really that major of an upgrade? Now Penryn, that seems like a major step forward. Santa Rosa though? I don't know. I'm not understanding the hype behind waiting for it?

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Santa Rosa is just a chipset. The "Santa Rosa" MacBooks will still have Core 2 Duos in them, that's the CPU. Santa Rosa has some nice architectural improvements, most notably the Intel X3000 integrated graphics, which are a step up from the GMA950 in the MacBooks at the moment. But from what you've described as being your primary uses for the machine, I don't think you'll find anything about the current MacBook would hold you back in any way. I'd say go for it and enjoy your purchase. :)

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, the difference would be negligible and you'll have a Mac that much sooner - I say pull the trigger!

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The new integrated graphics chipset is definitely worth waiting for.

5. CV4 macrumors member

A lot of people, including myself, are not just waiting for Santa Rosa but the graphics card and cpu updates that should come at the same time as Santa Rosa.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

When people say "Santa Rosa" it is understood that that means the chipset itself, and the upgraded GPU/CPU that comes along with it. It is not like people are waiting for a chipset, but nothing to plug into it.

7. CV4 macrumors member

considering the thread starter didn't know what Santa Rosa is, thinking it is a new cpu, I thought I would point that out.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The integrated graphics now really are dreadful, if you can wait, then wait :)

9. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

Aw, well waiting is no fun. It appears news just broke today that Leopard won't be out until October. However, do you think new versions of the MB with Santa Rosa will be out around May (or whenever Santa Rosa is officially released), or do you think Apple would wait until October to release everything at once alongside Leopard? Guesses?

I apprecaite all the responses so far.

I'd wait if a new MB model is due out next month. I won't wait if that model isn't due out til October. That's half a year away.

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The integrated graphics now are only "dreadful" if you're trying to do 3D. For EVERYTHING the OP wants to do with his computer, they're FINE. I've used a MacBook and for all general tasks, OS X is quite responsive and smooth. Honestly. :rolleyes:

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the RAM limit is 4GB it'll be a pointless upgrade, however if it is 8GB -- the machine will likely last you awhile.

Based on RAM alone, I'd say it is worth the wait to take a chance on 8GB of RAM being supported.

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Doesn't matter if it supports 8GB of RAM... it'll be a WHILE before you start seeing 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMMS, considering there aren't any 4GB full-size DDR2 DIMMs yet.

14. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

But I would never need 8g of ram anytime soon, right? Really, I email, download mp3s and occasionally mess around with Adobe. I think for some people 8gigs of ram would be welcomed, but for me? I'm not so sure.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you can wait 2 months, wait. If they aren't out by WWDC, who knows. They could come out next week, who knows. If you absolutely have to have it now, get a refurb when they're in stock, then upgrade the RAM third party.

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Robson internal flash emory would be nice, but I haven't heard that Apple will be using it, and IIRC, I seem to remember months ago someone said that they Wouldn't be using it. I mean, it's quite likely they've changed their mind, but whatever. I dunno. I fanyone can confirm or deny this, it'd be great.

It all depends. If you don't intend on playing games on the MB, only foresee needing 2GB RAM, don't care that the CPU *might* get a small speed bump (from 2 to 2.2 eg.), and don't want to risk having to wait until October, or maybe even MWSF, if Apple just decides to wait for Penryn, buy now.

Just 20 more posts until Avatar rights gained!

17. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I can see the point in waiting for the X3000 if you're doing anything involving 3D work/games but otherwise, with no temptation of Leopard now, there's very little point.

I've waited what has seemed like ages for an iMac update but personally, I'm just going to wait until something seems like it's significant and that doesn't count as Santa Rosa.
    If Apple are going to release this new "industrial design" then I'll bite before Leopard but the only other thing would be the Robson cache and not only do I not know how likely that is, I don't know what real practical use it has desktop.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

But, you could utilize 4GB (2GB x 2). While most people won't really need 4GB, for some users, the extra RAM can be put to good use.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Santa Rosa isn't "just the chipset". The Santa Rosa mobile line introduces a new cpu socket, socket P, vs the current socket M. Faster 800 MT/s front side bus and NAND flash-memory caching (Robson) are a couple of other features, with the possibility of larger L2 caches on some cpus.

Users will see a performance boost over the old Socket M c2d systems, but the really big boost however comes with Montevina (Penryn support and SSE4, etc.)

20. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

June is more likey than may.

If you buy Santa Rosa, the resale value of your laptop will be higher.

21. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all very much for the responses. It's been very helpful. I've decided that for me personally there is no point in waiting. Blackbook = this weekend. :)

22. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I, too, have read all replies within this thread. For the needs cited in your OP, you will be well served during the period of ownership by a MB. Technology evolves fairly quickly and a good number of people continue to be unduly influenced by expanded capabilities of an unreleased chip and/or operating system, versus the far more relevant question of what will satisfy all needs now and for the forseeable future.

Playing the waiting game long enough will result in one season after another passing you by as you feel more like a window shopper who is excluded from entering the store. You are doing the right thing ... I wish you well. Let us know your impressions after you purchase it.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The only thing I wanted to point out is the fact that I have been saying this here for 5 years, and I have never heard anyone else say it before. Two computers that seem different in spec today will probably be seen as "identical" later. I can't imagine myself thinking that an 800 MHz G3 iBook would run iPhoto a lot faster than a 700 MHz G3 iBook, and yet back in the day, people said they got the faster model to "future-proof" their purchase. Funny. :p

Anyway, I agree 100% with what you said. ;)

Waiting for better integrated graphics? How many 3D apps are you having trouble with? If you play games, that may be a problem. Otherwise, you're like me. There's nothing wrong with the GMA 950 from my seat. I think as long as it is powerful enough to run an external monitor, it's fine. My MacBook runs an external LCD with 1680 x 1080(?) resolution without a hiccup. It's also a Core Duo model, not one of the "fancy" Core 2 Duo models that you're buying. :)

I'd get 2 GB of RAM, though. Get it at a RAM dealer like OWC, maybe NewEgg. :)

If Robson Cache is coming, it's likely to show up in the MacBook Pro.

24. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

I'm in the same position i was waiting for SR and Leopard in June on a Macbook but now i am unsure what to do.

I think i will wait until 1st July maximum for the SR MBs and if they aint here by then i will just buy the current ones and then pay the £129 upgrade to Leopard.

25. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I can no longer be bothered waiting, to be honest.