Santa Rosa - what's the RAM clockspeed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustgroove, May 8, 2007.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

The FSB speed of the new Santa Rosa is 800mhz, but it's no longer the case that RAM necessarily operates synchronously with the FSB, and in the absence of any info on the subject, I'm definitely wondering...

So is the RAM speed 667mhz or 800mhz? Anybody know?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I would think the 667mhz ram would stay standard for some time.
    EDIT: It didn't say anything about this in the Wikipedia article about Santa Rosa platform.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

AFAIK it should be both (either or). There is some Geil memory that is already 800mhz DDR2. It has a pretty freaking low latency as well. Here is the page. Along with the 800 they have 1066 and 1160. Oddly enough it seems like getting the memory in SODIMM FF is not hard, but questionable. It may take a month or two longer for everyone to announce the faster notebook memory.

4. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

The one that CNet tested yesterday had 667 MHz memory:

http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,239035649,339275634,00.htm

5. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

PC World says it's 800.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

According to the chipset info available @ Intel.com, the GM965 and PM965 chipsets provide "support for dual channel DDR2 667 MHz memory technology."

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The front side bus is 800 MHz but the manufacturers seem to be sticking with DDR2-667.

~desu

8. ajhaji macrumors regular

For a while now, Dell has offered both 533 MHz and 667 MHz RAM on their latest models, so with Santa Rosa I can see them bumping up the low end to 667 MHz and offering the faster 800 MHz as an upgrade.

Apple has always been on the faster side with RAM so maybe they'll jump right up to 800 MHz? It'd be nice to have RAM running at the same FSB speed as the CPU (assuming the chipset can support it).

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Who does Apple normally go with for memory? Hynix? Kingston has DDR2-800 but it is 117 for a 1 gb stick.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No manufacturer AFAIK is offering 800 MHz DDR2 SODIMMs.
    800 (and for $$$$, higher) is offered in fullsize DIMMs but there is a huge issue. 99% of higher-than-667 DIMMs require the memory buss voltage to be cranked from 1.8V to 2.0 to 2.2V. Otherwise at 1.8V the module performs at 667 CL5.

That is just never going to happen in a notebook machine, because the heat and battery drain would be prohibitive.

The reason is that there are very few native 800 MHz chips being produced yet. Most 800 MHz modules are built with 667 chips that then have to be overclocked, which requires more voltage.

Apple uses Hynix, Samsung, Micron, Elpida and others depending on their supply contracts. They never use Kingston or Crucial.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And even deeper in Intel.

12. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Thanks for that clarification. Hopefully soon we'll see an advancement that will
    overcome this issue.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Kingston doesn't agree with you. Neither does Hynix, S5 is DDR2-800. Didn't look for the others, but I am pretty sure they have sodimms modules as well.

But the other person is right Intel only supports 533/667 in the PM965 Chipset.

That crushes hope for more than 4 GB of ram as well.

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

Santa Rosa by Intel. Crushing your hopes and dreams since May 9, 2007.

In the official santa rosa thread I mentioned a PC Magazine review of a Santa Rosa HP laptop that says that it supports 8 gigabytes of RAM. But then someone went to the HP website and it says max 4 gigs of RAM. Oh well.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, I stand corrected, Kingston and Hynix have released 800 MHz SODIMMs. They are not yet in stock at the major Canadian wholesalers, with no ETA. Kingston does not have stock on the 800 MHz SODIMMs for the next 1 - 2 weeks. So Announced = Yes, Available = Not quite yet.
    Crucial has not introduced 800 MHz SODIMMs yet.

The shortage of native 800 MHz components will keep them scarce for the next short while until the supplies ramp up. The lack of machines that will actually support 800 Mhz will hold up volume supplies for a while too.

16. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Maybe its becouse there are 2 slots only?? And they assume 2GB max ?? Or maybe its becouse what system can be addressed and its more software than hardware issue??:confused:

17. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I don't doubt that. Of course we will see how fast Intel steps up to 800mhz memory support.