Santa Rosa with 8GBs of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gphoto, Jun 26, 2007.

1. gphoto macrumors member

I've got a question: if it was feasible to buy 4GB ram sticks for the MPB, could it address 8GBs of RAM? This would be with a Santa Rosa MPB. If not, what is the theoretical maximum amount of RAM that can be addressed by SR? If this has been addressed in another thread, I could not find it.

--Gphoto

2. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure the limit for SR MBP's is 4gb.

3. cube macrumors G5

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

you link proves nothing to the memory limit, only speed. It being a 64bit chip and chipset it sould have the same limits at the mac pro(non at all).

5. chex macrumors regular

I agree

6. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

*ahem* There IS a limit. 16 exabytes.

7. ccartguy macrumors newbie

In theory, you should be able to go to 8 gig once someone produces a 4gig chip. Unless Apple has limited the mobo for some strange reason.

I remember a while back they listed the BW G3 to max out at what ever 4(slots)x the highest memory chip available was (256?), but it would actually recognize higher memory. They just wouldn't officially support it.

8. drumforfun19 macrumors regular

drumforfun19

you'd probably be better off waiting for them to come out with 800Mhz ram... PC5800? haha I don't know how they name it, but.

4 Gb of 800Mhz ram over 667Mhz ram would be a big improvment.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Like they did for the CD MacBooks.

10. cube macrumors G5

The 5000X MCH limit is 64 GiB

11. gphoto thread starter macrumors member

No, they didn't, the chipset before Santa Rosa did not support more than 4GB total, it was not Apple's decision. Thanks for the link, cube, that has a decisive answer.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My implication was that Apple crippled the CD MacBooks to 2GB whereas the C2D MacBooks are able to take more. Same chipset. Lots of folks manage to get up to 3.3GB in their C2D MacBooks by running 2X2GB sticks. No one has been able to do that in the CD MacBooks. I think Apple had something to do with that.

Oh and the link only says that the chipset family supports up to 8GB. Until we see a working SR MBP with 8GB, its not confirmed.

13. gphoto thread starter macrumors member

Aha, gotcha. I was thinking of MBPs, and I didn't notice that you said MBs. I though that the CD MB(P)s could only support up to 1.5GBs of memory, and neither were able to support 2GB until C2D. I would guess that the SR MBPs can support 8GB of memory, just like they could support 3.2GB before, but the MBs might not be able to when and if they are upgraded to SR.

--Gphoto