Santa Rosa?

giovanni.apd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
67
0
In a few of the (many) threads regarding Memron chips and the MBP I have read some people saying that waiting for the rumored Memron upgrade in september is a bad move considering the "santa rose" upgrade sometime earlier next year.
I'm not asking if this is a bad move or not, I'm just wanting to know what exactly santa rosa is? Is it a location of an expo where something is rumored to be upgraded or is it component in itself that is to be upgraded?
Thanks
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,230
1,124
It's "Merom."

Santa Rosa is the next-generation Centrino platform from Intel. One of the big things people are waiting for is the increased front side bus speed of 800 MHz, an nice improvement the somewhat-bottlenecked 667 MHz FSB in today's Napa platform.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So Santa Rosa is an interim upgrade in between Merom coming out and Penryn (since Santa Rosa uses Merom)?

Semi-OT semi-rant... where exactly did people start saying "Memron?" Merom is not a particularly unusual, hard to pronounce, or hard to spell name... and the only thing that I can find that's called "memron" other than the mistaken naming of the processor is some low budget movie....
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,230
1,124
mkrishnan said:
So Santa Rosa is an interim upgrade in between Merom coming out and Penryn (since Santa Rosa uses Merom)?
My understanding is that Penryn will initially use the Santa Rosa platform as well.

So it will likely go: Yonah/Napa --> Merom/Napa --> Merom/Santa Rosa --> Penryn/Santa Rosa

Penryn is simply a 45 nm shrink of Merom, and it is expected that the next Intel architecture, Nehalem, will be released soon after that.
 

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
228
0
Down on Copperline...
WildCowboy said:
My understanding is that Penryn will initially use the Santa Rosa platform as well.

So it will likely go: Yonah/Napa --> Merom/Napa --> Merom/Santa Rosa --> Penryn/Santa Rosa

Penryn is simply a 45 nm shrink of Merom, and it is expected that the next Intel architecture, Nehalem, will be released soon after that.
So who's going to start the "Should I wait for Penryn?" thread.:D
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,559
1,484
Will the X3000 or even 965 (am I correct that they are both chipsets like the 945/950, or is the 965 graphics that would go on a X3000) possibly make it into the MacBook and Mini with Merom revisions this fall, or are they specifically linked to the release of Santa Rosa. I thought I had read that the 965 was already out, sporting 128 mb shared video over the 64 that the 945 and 950s have. (And yes I do know that under windows xp sees and can use the full 224, not just 64 and that the 965 has support for 384 not just 128 or something like that.)
 

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
1,758
0
California
viccles said:
I am so lost and confused its driving me insane!
What's to be lost/confused about? Santa Rosa is the platform, Merom is the processor. Currently Apple uses a Napa platform with a Yonah processor chip. This chip will be upgraded to Merom. After that, in early 2007, the platform will be upgraded to the Santa Rosa platform.

"Merom" "Santa Rose" etc. are all just code names, btw.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
roland.g said:
Will the X3000 or even 965 (am I correct that they are both chipsets like the 945/950, or is the 965 graphics that would go on a X3000) possibly make it into the MacBook and Mini with Merom revisions this fall, or are they specifically linked to the release of Santa Rosa. I thought I had read that the 965 was already out, sporting 128 mb shared video over the 64 that the 945 and 950s have. (And yes I do know that under windows xp sees and can use the full 224, not just 64 and that the 965 has support for 384 not just 128 or something like that.)
You're not going to see the X3000/965 for a mobile platform until Santa Rosa in 2007.