Santa Rose Macbooks at John Lewis

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbloomfield, Nov 23, 2007.

1. dbloomfield macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if they are in stock yet? I've read that someone had bought one from a store in the UK but when I ring up, go in the store or online they dont have them

Some of the assistants dont believe they exist even

2. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I emailed John Lewis in Reading on Wednesday asking the same thing because I wanted to take advantage of the 2-year warranty for the same price as Apple online.

I'm still waiting for a reply!

However they've lost the sale now. On the same day I saved a quote on the Apple online store. They rung me on Thursday asking about the quote and if I wanted to proceed.

I explained why I hadn't gone ahead and they gave me the MacBook, AppleCare and iWorks for £795! So if your rationale for JL was the same as mine you could try that!

And it arrived today!

HTH

- D

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Is that the only draw for John Lewis? A 2 year warranty? And I suppose not everyone has an Apple Store in their area... anything other than that? I don't think I'll ever keep a machine long enough to take advantage of that second year... maybe the Mac Pro I plan on buying in 2009 :)

I can use my 16% higher education discount at Apple so as far as I know, there's nowhere better to shop (apart from the US!)

4. dbloomfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks dwright1974, I've tried the quote thing on the apple website. Might ring me you never know, think it could be a long shot though.

Getting a bit sick of waiting for John Lewis though. I've emailed head office but I'm still waiting for a response, it is the weekend after all.

JNC, nah i dont have an apple store near me. Nearest about 100 miles. Youre mental if you only keep your machines for a year either that or you have too much money. =p

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I kept my first Mac, a Mac Mini, for about a year. Then the MacBook came out so I sold my Mini to a friend and bought it. Then I had an Intel iMac, Intel Mac Mini, and now a MacBook again. I just sell the old one and put the money toward another one - the student discount helps...:D

6. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Good luck, you have nothing to lose.

I genuinely didn't do it to force Apple's hand, sort of speak, I had heard of Apple doing this before, but I was really surprised when they range me and he sent the details of the deal through!

If they do call, just make sure you tell them why you're waiting for the JL reply!

Hope you get a similar deal!

- D

7. Ralfy macrumors newbie

What model of MacBook did you get?

8. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

2.2SR MacBook - tested but then boxed up again - it's a Christmas present so I'm trying REALLY hard not to touch it.

Also bought 2Gb of RAM from Crucial last week when they had their 10% sale on. I suppose I *could* open it again to put that in and then test it *again* :)

I'm really happy with it, and what's more, it was delivered within 24-hours from Appleland (somewhere!) - I had seen on here they can take some time to come so I was really surprised when I checked the status and I could track it to my office, (which is almost next door to the TNT Distro Centre for my area!

Such a long time 'til Christmas!!

@dbloomfield - Any contact from Apple yet!?

- D

9. dbloomfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye i did the save quote thing and they rang me and offered 40 quid off the price.

He also asked if I knew anyone in education, I said I didnt but about an hour later it struck me that my sister is doing a course with work at university. So I rang them up and asked about it and got a macbook 2.2 and apple care for 760.

result! =)

It was delivered by UPS yesterday but I was at work so hopefully I'll get it tonight from the depot on the way home

fingers crossed

10. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Result - well done!!

There apparently seems to be a pattern of discounting if you save a quote then wait for the call, (maybe it's just Christmas Cheer at Apple UK HQ!).

With the cash saved, I'd now go directly to crucial and buy a 2Gb upgrade kit! That's what I've done with mine and it now super-flies!

Enjoy!

- D

11. dbloomfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Im thinking I might go for 4gb =)

Hopefully it'll fly off the table then

12. dbloomfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally got it last night from the UPS depot

I love it

gonna head off to crucial to order my memory tonight i think.

Is quidco any good? I've registered but never used it yet?