Sanyo 1010 1080p30 vs 1080i60

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pcmofo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. pcmofo macrumors member

pcmofo

I just picked up a Sanyo 1010 from B&H. It looks like a great camera and I am ready to start shooting some footage but I am unsure of what the best settings to use for my work flow.

I want to shoot mostly stationary videos, ie podcasts/youtube videos of people talking etc or of a process like assembling something.

99% of the time it will be a stationary camera indoors with lights etc.

I may also shoot somethings with the intention to speed up the video for a time-lapse effect.

The Sanyo 1010 can do 1080i at 60fps and 1080p and 30fps.

I plan on editing everything with iMovie and exporting in MPEG4 for upload to youtube or to make a DVD from.

What format will work best for shooting mostly stationary video and be the easiest to import/export with iMovie with the least amount of hassle/transcoding/etc?

2. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Myself, I would shoot 1080 30p. Why? Because its progressive images versus interlaced. Interlaced tends to look softer and flatter. 30p looks sharper and cleaner because your seeing full images, not interlaced images.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

For stationary work go with 1080 30p.

I might be wrong, someone correct me if I am, but 60i would be better for action shots. It will capture more images per second but the image quality suffers because of interlacing.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

30p will not provide as smooth looking motion as 60i will but progressive compresses better and looks better on the web. If you aren't doing anything w/very fast action and it's for the web I'd go w/30p. If you are primarily going for DVD/TV and/or you are recording faster type action then go w/60i.

Lethal

5. pigbat macrumors regular

I picked one up also and am pretty excited. My cousin loves the way you can just go directly into iMovie. It was a great price.

6. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I just shot a 50 minute movie in 1080p30 and I am uploading it now.

I also took 4 different clips at 1080/720 60/30 to compare how they look in the actual place I will be doing most of my shooting.

What do you mean you can dump the video right into iMovie? you still need to transcode it.....

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Personally I think 720p60 is the best all around option right now unless you are shooting a narrative and want 24p. 720p60 gives you the smooth, crisp motion and a clean, progressive frame that's great for watching on progressive displays such as computer monitors.

Lethal

8. pigbat macrumors regular

I have read multiple reviews where people put 720p footage straight into iMovie without transcoding. Most of these also mention that anything in 1080 needs to be transcoded. I don't have it in hand yet so I can't confirm that.

9. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo

I shot basically the same footage in the following formats

1080i/60
    1080p/30
    720p/60
    720p/30

The 1080p footage looked the best overall. This is after I exported the video out of iMovie in it's native format and 30fps for everything. You could see some stair stepping and jaggies on the 1080i/60 from the interlacing. The 1080p/30 and the 720p/60 looked the best, I assume, due to the progressive quality of the video.

Therefore I plan on shooting exclusively in 1080p/30. Using a 16gb SD card that gives me 2:40 which is more than the battery can do which will typically be more than enough.

If I need to do sports or some other fast motion I would most likely switch to 720p/60

I am going to get a much better tripod and microphone for this camera as I feel those will make this camera awesome.

Anyone have tiny external mic recommendation?