Sanyo 244t maxing out at 1600 x 1200?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Stephen23, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Stephen23 macrumors member

Stephen23

Hello everyone,

So I spent two hours last night trying to sort out this issue and finally gave up and went to bed. Sadly, it's still there this morning, so I am seeking out help from better minds than my own.

First off, the system in question is a late 2006 Mac Pro with the Geoforce 7300 GT Graphics card, running the latest version of 10.4, with six gigs of memory. The card is plugged into two Samsung Monitors, a Syncmaster 930 which acts as my main screen and a Syncmaster 944t which is a 24" widescreen with native resolution of 1920 x 1200 - or at least it's supposed to be. The 244 is connected with a DVI cable.

The issue is this... for basically two years I've had this same setup working just fine, using it for photo editing and some video work. Recently though, the 244t monitor died. Samsung was very cool about it, and under their warranty service, they sent me a new one and took back the dead one. But since connecting the replacement monitor, the resolution is showing up as 1600 x 1200 rather than the 1920 x 1200 it should be. The reason, or a fix has completely baffled me.

- Mac tech specs indicate that this card should output 1920 x 1600 without a problem, using the single DVI port.

- Because the monitor is connected through DVI, it won't let me alter its resolution internally, nor even reset the image to factory settings.

- All Samsung troubleshooting points to the video card as the problem, indicating that if DVI is being used, the screen will set itself to the maximum capability of the video card, up to 1920 x 1600.

- I've gone as far as running a hardware test from the system disk, with the results that it could find no errors in the hardware on the machine.

- Despite all the Samsung troubleshooting indicating that the problem is with the Graphics output, the fact of the matter is that the output was fine with the original monitor, and the new one literally got put into its place - plugging into the same power cable and DVI cable that were still attached to the computer. This clearly indicates that the problem is with the monitor.

- Yet, the monitor can't be adjusted or fixed, because it's connected through DVI.

- Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Now that the Samsung support lines are open, I'm calling them, but I wanted to see if anyone here sees some faulty piece of logic in my endless circles...

Thanks

Stephen

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I would ask the support people just what are the chances they shipped you a replacement monitor with a broken EDID. This is what determines the information sent to the video card over the DVI cable so if it not reporting the correct resolutions you will never get the proper one used.

3. Stephen23 thread starter macrumors member

Stephen23

update

Okay... After doing more tests and talking to Samsung today, it looks like it is a faulty monitor. The tech thinks that perhaps the wrong chipset was put into it, so that while it's actually a widescreen monitor, it actually thinks it's a 1600 x 1200 4:3 monitor.

They're shipping me a new one to replace it (again), and in the meantime, I guess I'm going to use it in 4:3 mode with some lovely black bands on either side. That's better than seeing the image stretched sideways...

It really seems like they'd catch that kind of thing before shipping it out...

Stephen