Sanyo VPC HD2000 or Sony HDR-TG7(called TG5 in US??)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Zer0, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Zer0 macrumors regular

I'm looking for a portable camcorder which can also double up as a camera for snapshots (When I dont have my D40 with me, or when I feel too lazy to carry it).

I'm pretty much sold on the pistol grip and narrowed down my choices to the Sanyo VPC HD2000 and the Sony HDR-TG7. I absolutely love the titanium build of the sony and also the fact that it is more portable than the Sanyo. But apparently the Sanyo has better manual controls which would be handy when using it for still images.

Any suggestions? It is driving me crazy... given that I love all things sony :D

2. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Go with the Sony. You said it yourself. "When your feeling lazy..." that means your not going to take the time to do manual anyways. Besides these are suppose to be quick and easy. Point and shoot.

3. Zer0 thread starter macrumors regular

Fiar point :)

But the TG7 stills are rated at 4MP. I would be comfortable knowing that I can make a decent sized print of the picture and I think 4MP would be pushing it a bit as far as large print is concerned.

The Sanyo seems to to better if you compare spec by spec, but the sony is just so tastefully designed and just a tad smaller making it much more portable.

4. georgemann macrumors regular

georgemann

Seattle, Washington & Siem Reap, Cambodia
    Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD2000 – a Perfect Match for Apple’s Cinema HD Displays

The Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD2000 was the worlds first digital video camera targeted at consumers to offer progressing full HD video, or 1080p to you and me. This provides video with a resolution of up to 1920 x 1080px, and all of this is encoded in MPEG 4 which is the native video format of iMovie, and fully compatible with Final Cut. Needless to say on an LED cinema display the results are absolutely spectacular.

http://dpmac.com/2009/12/sanyo-xacti-vpc-hd2000-–-a-perfect-match-for-apple’s-cinema-hd-displays/

5. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

What about...

Have you checked out the Sanyo VPC-FH1? It has pretty much the same specs as the HD2000 minus the external mic input for a hell of a lot less. It might not look as cool as the HD2000, but its a pretty solid cam. Just another option.

6. Zer0 thread starter macrumors regular

Well... thanks for the reply guys. I agree with georgemann about the Sanyo. Absolute beast if you are talking about features. But it so happened that Sony dropped the price on the TG7 to £499 plus a £60 cashback just when I was about to pull the trigger on the Sanyo. So I just went for the Sony TG7instead. I know its an inferior purchase purely based on specs but its got a lovely titanium finish (scratch proof) and its more portable so I'm happy with it. The videos look great too ;)