Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
So I'm about to get the last new high end GPU for 2010 Mac Pros with a decent warranty - I'll be sending in my 5770 so I'll be getting it at a decent price considering.

Any Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition owners that can verify the proper switch position for use in a Mac Pro? I've read of some users having the Mac EFI switch position actually being the PC one, and vice versa.

I'd like to get it booting up properly on first go, so any experience from other owners of the card would be much appreciated!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just double check the switch position, and then you should be good to go. The manual says it should be at the Mac position, however, that's not the case in my card. But the 1 / 2 position is correctly loaded with the Mac / PC BIOS as the manual state.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
But the 1 / 2 position is correctly loaded with the Mac / PC BIOS as the manual state.

I'm a little confused by this bit - you mean the manual states it should in pos. 1 or 2 depending on if in a Mac or PC, and THAT part is correct?

So you had to put yours in the PC position for it to correctly load the Mac BIOS and work with your Mac Pro?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
No, the manual says that the card should ship with the Mac EFI ROM as the default switch position. However, it was set to the PC UEFI position.

Actually, the ROM is correctly loaded. All I need to do is to check the manual, put the switch back to the correct position, and then boot with the lovely boot screen.

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
No, the manual says that the card should ship with the Mac EFI ROM as the default switch position. However, it was set to the PC UEFI position.

However, the ROM is correctly loaded. All I need to do is to check the manual, put the switch back to the correct position, and then boot with the lovely boot screen.

Excellent, I hope that's the case with mine.

If there are any others out there with different experiences I'd like to know.

Arron Rouse

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Chichester, UK
My Sapphire 7950 came with both ROMs flashed to the PC version. It even came back that way after I RMAed it. In the end I persuaded Sapphire to email me the Mac EFI file and flashed it myself.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
Worst thing that might happen is that you won't have a boot screen, you can safely just try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.