Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition Switch

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tucom, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

So I'm about to get the last new high end GPU for 2010 Mac Pros with a decent warranty - I'll be sending in my 5770 so I'll be getting it at a decent price considering.

Any Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition owners that can verify the proper switch position for use in a Mac Pro? I've read of some users having the Mac EFI switch position actually being the PC one, and vice versa.

I'd like to get it booting up properly on first go, so any experience from other owners of the card would be much appreciated!

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Just double check the switch position, and then you should be good to go. The manual says it should be at the Mac position, however, that's not the case in my card. But the 1 / 2 position is correctly loaded with the Mac / PC BIOS as the manual state.

3. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

I'm a little confused by this bit - you mean the manual states it should in pos. 1 or 2 depending on if in a Mac or PC, and THAT part is correct?

So you had to put yours in the PC position for it to correctly load the Mac BIOS and work with your Mac Pro?

4. h9826790, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

No, the manual says that the card should ship with the Mac EFI ROM as the default switch position. However, it was set to the PC UEFI position.

Actually, the ROM is correctly loaded. All I need to do is to check the manual, put the switch back to the correct position, and then boot with the lovely boot screen.

5. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Excellent, I hope that's the case with mine.

If there are any others out there with different experiences I'd like to know.

6. Arron Rouse macrumors regular

My Sapphire 7950 came with both ROMs flashed to the PC version. It even came back that way after I RMAed it. In the end I persuaded Sapphire to email me the Mac EFI file and flashed it myself.

7. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

Worst thing that might happen is that you won't have a boot screen, you can safely just try it out.