Sapphire Coating Staining?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by James.K.Polk, Sep 23, 2016.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Notice in the top-right corner, just above where the OLED ends, that white spot. There are a couple of these on the watch, but they were difficult to photograph because of the lights in the room. It seems like the coating of the screen is staining in some capacity? Just little spots - not scratches, but small silver/white marks appearing.

[​IMG]

2. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Not unusual on watches with sapphire crystals with anti reflective coatings.

Some manufacturers coat the underside of the crystal instead to avoid this. Presumably technical reasons why Apple couldn't.

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can/should I bring it to the Apple Store? Obviously it's a tiny little stain (and even if there are 2-3 of them, they're still tiny)... it's not super bothersome, but it's there....

4. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

How long have you had it? It's routine wear and tear, I'm afraid.

5. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just traded it for my 42mm, but it's under AC+ until December 2017, so I assume it was purchased 12/15. I'm definitely making mountains out of molehills, but if it could be fixed, I thought I'd give it a try...

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually Apple uses the same oleophobic coating as on the iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc. I have never been a big fan of it and to me it makes fingerprints look greasy instead of just smudgy. It wears off in time anyway and you can remove the oleophobic coating with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber.

7. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm not entirely sure that's what this is... and again, it's hard to call it an 'issue' when it's basically imperceptible, but since I have AC+ on the Watch, I thought maybe I try and have it replaced...