Sapphire display scratch resistance

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by realtyknep, Mar 26, 2015.

1. realtyknep macrumors newbie

How well will the apple watch sapphire display hold up to scratching... I would prefer not putting a screen protector on it at all costs.

I have ruled out the apple watch sport b/c it simply does not come with the sapphire display. That is a deal breaker in itself. Ss is the only way to go.

2. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

it's a watch, i don't know anyone that has ever needed or purchased a screen protector for a watch.

3. realtyknep thread starter macrumors newbie

Watches scratch, easily. I dont want my apple watch scratched lol

4. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I have a quite a few watches with sapphire glass. They are extremely scratch resistant and I've never had a single issue. The only thing to worry about is shattering if your drop it since they are extremely hard. But how are you gonna drop a watch in everyday use if it's strapped on your wrist?

Ugly and overkill IMO

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Cheap watches with plastic 'crystals' scratch easily.

----------

I totally agree. We all drop phones all the time for many reasons. Mostly while fumbling with it to get it out of something while ringing. I have had mine on the car seat between my legs and forgotten it was there and then it hits the ground when I get out. This should NEVER happen with the watch. You usually take it off and put it on in the same place. It is always pretty controlled so we are a lot less likely to drop it.

6. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I wear my watch 24/7 every day and in all conditions. The case is scratched up, even right around the rim of the screen from whacking it on things while working on the car, a little scuff from hitting the ground when I was hit by a car on my bicycle, and a bunch on the band.

But the sapphire crystal is perfect. Not the tiniest scratch. Sapphire is very nearly as hard as diamonds. DIAMONDS.

7. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

There is a reason why good watch with Sapphire is expensive. You pay money for quality, and you won't regret it. Knowing Apple, they will use proper Sapphire crystal (not the cheap one) and I guarantee you won't have any concern for scratching the face watch.

Now, the body on the other hand... I am not sure how scratch resistant the Stainless Steel is. I guess the tolerance might be pretty high.

8. saving107, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

9. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

In theory, sapphire is just under diamond in hardness so only a diamond can scratch it.

I hope Apple has also made it less shatter proof, although I haven't heard of a sapphire watch crystal shattering.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Oh wow, sounds scary.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I've had my Omega for 5 years now and there isn't a single scratch on the glass.

12. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Every member of MacRumors should be made to watch that video repeatedly.

13. EthanLMT macrumors regular

EthanLMT

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's the same for my 18 year old Junghans. The case is also totally scratch free because it's ceramic. :cool:

15. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Indeed. The question is definitely not "will it survive an attack from a jack-hammer?" I started a very sensible thread asking that very question and it was shut down without so much as a bye-your-leave.

16. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Those very same people who put "screen protector" on a sapphire screen probably put a plastic wrap on their diamond rings. LOL.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The watch will scratch but the sapphire crystal should remain looking like new.