Sapphire face?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
On previous generations of Apple Watch, the stainless steel (and above, if there was a higher tier) had a sapphire crystal watch face, while the aluminum had IonX.

I'm not seeing any indication about the Series 4 about either the aluminum or stainless steel. Yeah, I see them mentioning the sapphire backing over the sensors ... but nothing about the face.

Has sapphire been abandoned completely for the faces? Or are they both (aluminum and ss) sapphire? I'm reluctant to give up my Series 3 stainless if the face on the 4 isn't sapphire ... I had a Series 0 stainless from launch until I got my Series 3, and never had even the smallest scratch or ding after all that time. Not even micro scratches.

Anyone have any info on this?

ryankidd17

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
On previous generations of Apple Watch, the stainless steel (and above, if there was a higher tier) had a sapphire crystal watch face, while the aluminum had some kind of ion glass or whatever.

I'm not seeing any indication about the Series 4 about either the aluminum or stainless steel. Yeah, I see them mentioning the sapphire backing over the sensors ... but nothing about the face.

Has sapphire been abandoned completely for the faces? Or are they both (aluminum and ss) sapphire? I'm reluctant to give up my Series 3 stainless if the face on the 4 isn't sapphire ... I had a Series 0 stainless from launch until I got my Series 3, and never had even the smallest scratch or ding after all that time. Not even micro scratches.

Anyone have any info on this?
Same as before. Aluminum has IonX and stainless has sapphire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.