Sapphire Glass might not be real

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Badrottie, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I thought Sapphire Glass on the back camera will not break or scratched at all. I think Apple lied to you. Here is the picture of my iPhone 6 Plus
    And I went to Apple Store to see about this. They said there is nothing wrong with it. Wow they mean it?? This is only 5 weeks old phone! Oh well. I have no idea how it got scratched. I was very careful with my baby.

Attached Files:

2. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

Unless it affects your camera directly when taking pictures, I wouldn't worry about that.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The ring around the camera is made of anodised aluminium, not glass. As it stands proud of the casing it was always bound to pick up knocks unless you're extremely careful, or use a case.
    If the glass itself is scratched too, then unless you used a diamond to do so it probably isn't sapphire...

4. Ashtar macrumors regular

Here we go again, huh? Apple just lies about all of its products. You just don't quit, do ya?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That many scratches on the camera ring yet you claim to be very careful with your baby? Sorry but my BS detector is going off.

6. Ashtar macrumors regular

Exactly.

7. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

I've had my 6+ since day one, and still not a single scratch on the lens or surrounding ring, so you can't possibly be treating your baby that well.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Sapphire is scratchable. It's just more resistant than other materials.

9. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

So is this going to be Sapphiregate? or Scratchgate? :D

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Take the damn diamonds out of your pocket!

I checked my launch day 6 and it still looks perfectly fine with no scratches. Touch ID also looks fine.

11. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

What in the world would have led you to that conclusion? Apple didn't lie to you. You got the wrong impression.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well sapphire is a 9 on that scale I can not recall the name of right now. The only thing that's a 10 is diamond. So diamond is the hardest thing we know of here on earth. Sapphire can break and shatter but shouldn't scratch very easily at all.

13. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

You sure those are scratches on the glass? We're not talking about the ring here right?

14. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Interestingly enough, the home button on my brand new 6+ has a long scratch across the entire thing. It doesn't effect functionality, but I'm not carrying around diamonds in my pocket, so I have no idea how it happened.

Attached Files:

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it doesn't look like the OP took very good care of his phone.

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You really beat the hell out of the phone. It deserves a case to protect the back and camera. :eek:

17. ebika macrumors 6502

Sapphire can be scratched by materials of equal or greater hardness. Corundum (base mineral of sapphires) is found naturally in some sand, sandpaper, and probably other places. I don't find it that surprising that whatever scuffed the heck out of the metal ring around the lens in OP's picture contained corundum. Maybe it slid on pavement or something with sand or bits of corundum-containing grit? Wiping the lens down with fabric isn't going to cause that kind of scuffing on metal, let alone the sapphire.

18. lrsone macrumors 6502

That's weird. Never seen that before.

19. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

You dont need diamond to scratch sapphire. Unsure why everyone thinks this.

Rub your lense back and forth on the pavement/sidewalk then take a look at it ;)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sapphire is a hard surface but its not impossible to scuff up as others stated. Plus it seems the majority of scratches are around the aluminum ring.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Sapphire is not as hard as we all have been led to believe as I have had to have the sapphire crystal replaced on my watch when I accidentally glanced off a stucco wall while biking. It will catch and I highly doubt the wall had any diamonds imbedded in it. Sapphire is quite hard though and is a great choice for applications like this.

I will have to agree with the others and it looks like the OP beat the heck out of his phine and I doubt that Apple will honor any type of warranty for the scratches.

22. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There's a part in the Apple Watch video where they say "hardest transparent material next to diamond." Meaning that not transparent materials can scratch it, but it's still pretty tough.

23. Imory macrumors 6502a

To diamond and moissanite. Force and impact are different parameters, but unless diamond got in touch with it, then there's nothing that should cause the glass any scratches.

----------

That is also a possibility. Well put.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

To the op. If your iPhone is only 5 weeks old, you haven't treated it well. Had mine since day one with no scratches. Although to be honest my iPhone 5 had no scratches after 2 years of service. I suggest a case based on your stewardship.

25. Ashtar macrumors regular

Mine is flawless. People who say they "baby" their device, but then post pictures like this or a bent phone and then say "I don't know how this happened" are being dishonest.