Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Accelerate Your Mac and tonymacx86, German site PCGamesHardware.de reports [Google translation] that Hong Kong-based company Sapphire Technology is previewing its new Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition graphics card at CeBIT this week. The high-end card arrives following Apple's introduction of Radeon HD 7000-series drivers in OS X 10.8.3 betas last November, although the update has yet to be released to the public.
At Cebit we saw the Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition for the first time live. The upper-class graphics card based on the original HD 7950, which uses dark brown board waived a boost function and is clocked at 800 MHz (GPU). The 3 GiByte GDDR5 memory, as well as its clock of 2,500 MHz, unchanged.
Sapphire is reportedly planning to price the Radeon 7950 Mac Edition at $450.

sapphire_radeon_hd_7950.jpg
Mac Pro news and rumors are beginning to pick up steam following Apple's promise last June that "new designs" of the workstation would be arriving in 2013. Last month, Apple ceased European sales of the current Mac Pro due to its non-compliance with new safety regulations, increasing the urgency of an update, while just yesterday a report surfaced about Apple-branded 2 TB solid-state drives for the Mac Pro.

Article Link: Sapphire Previews Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition Graphics Card for Mac Pro

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Yep. And it will be marketed as the biggest and best computer and made in America.

It will sell.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
It won't fit in the current Mac Pro's in slot 1 ! Look at these large screws on the back.

mattlong1978

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
United Kingdom
I was just about to buy a GTX 670 for my 2008 Mac Pro, is there any reason besides the EFI Boot screen that makes it's worth holding out for one of these? or should I just go for it.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Stop dreaming about the Mac Pro, folks.

This fantastic new product just needs a long-enough external Thunderbolt enclosure with 400W external power supply. It would be the most expensive and awkward MacBook Air accessory. I'm salivating.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
TWO Mac Pro based news items in under 24 hours?!?!:eek::eek:
PRAISE THE LORD AND HIS WONDERFUL WAYS.

It won't fit in the current Mac Pro's in slot 1 ! Look at these large screws on the back.
Seriously?

I want one! Bet it wont be compatible with a 2009 mac pro tho
I'm pretty sure it is. As long as you have OSX 10.8

Question is what ports... thunderbolt confirmed?:confused:
No. No graphics cards have thunderbolt. IMO it should be kitted out with Mini Displayport, which can be adapted to anything.

Again, Apple DID NOT promise "new designs" of the Mac Pro in 2013.
Tim Cook himself said there was a Mac Pro redesign imminent for this year.

Great, $450 for a Mac version, but the PC version lists at $320. Uh, thanks, Sapphire?
Ripping off the Mac users. You can just stick the PC version in a MP anyway -.-

----------

For the people wondering THE PORTS:
Sapphire-HD-7950-Mac-Edition-6.jpg

1x Dual Link DVI; 1x HDMI; 2x Mini Displayport

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I'm pretty sure if you look at his quote, he simply said that there was something coming for pro users in response to a question about a Mac Pro. I don't think you will find he every used the words "Mac Pro". But I could be wrong...

I know he didn't specifically say Mac Pro, but something along the lines of a Mac Pro for Pro end users. Basically the same thing but sure :p

Giuly

macrumors 68040
We saw the Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition for the first time in person at the CeBit. The high-end graphics card is based on the reference design of the HD7950 and uses the same brown circuit board, foregoes the speed boost and clocks the GPU cores at 800MHz. Both the 3GiByte of GDDR5 and it's clock of 2.500MHz remain unchanged.

Something like that, I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.