Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
Was adding a new PCIE card to my Mac Pro 5,1 and realized my video card SAPPHIRE Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB that the front fan (closest to the inputs) was catching the top of the case. So after about 30 seconds that fan stops spinning.

No idea how long that has been going on for but when I take the card out and try and spin the fan by hand It is def catching somewhere on the plastic above it. I made sure all the screws were secure and it was centered but can’t seem to figure out how to the fan fins on that from fan so spin smoothly.

Since the cards aren’t super expensive I figured I would just buy a new one or maybe “upgrade” I running OCLP and macOS Monterey so I know that limits my card choice (Titan Ridge is out I think) so is the Radeon RX 580 still the best bet for the 5,1 machines?

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
have not fully understood your problem with the RX 580, but i happen also to have one (later flashed for macpro bootscreen), and this was my most powerful card, but lucky got an RX VEga 56 and this one is tad quite nicer (since it also fits in two slots, only some models of Vega RX 56 or 64 do) and has the same software support i suppose.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Get yourself Sapphire RX 6600 XT 8GB and flash the firmware in a PC. It’s a wonderful card.

It is faster running as well and seems cooler running also. Same power cables used.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The RX580 has zero dB cooling. When the GPU isn't that warm (e.g. below 60°C), the fan can stop.

Some RX580 only programme one fan to stop. So, your card may be just doing exactly what it suppose to do.

Anyway, if the fan touch the card above. You can put some thermal pad between the RX580 and the card above. Just to make a 1-2mm gap is good enough.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Was adding a new PCIE card to my Mac Pro 5,1 and realized my video card SAPPHIRE Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB that the front fan (closest to the inputs) was catching the top of the case. So after about 30 seconds that fan stops spinning.
It sounds like you have a defective gpu, if the fan is catching on the gpu enclosure.

Pummers

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Fan plastics aren't always stable, depending on the vendor. They can stretch and deform over time.

I've had one of the impellers stuck for years on one GPU fan that I didn't notice until I did a tear down. Heat gun and gentle pressure with a pair of pliers fixed it.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
Fan plastics aren't always stable, depending on the vendor. They can stretch and deform over time.

I've had one of the impellers stuck for years on one GPU fan that I didn't notice until I did a tear down. Heat gun and gentle pressure with a pair of pliers fixed it.
Ohh nice! I have a heat gun handy i'll make this a weekend project. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.