Sapphire RX 580 Pulse GPU Issue with Sleep

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
So I had a Sapphire Nitro RX 580 and sent it back to the seller because the card would not give a signal to the screen after trying to wake up the computer from sleep. I had to reboot my computer a few times in order for the screen to reappear.

I went back to my older ATI Radeon 5870 which worked with Mojave but there was flickering in the meantime until the new card came in the mail.

The new Sapphire RX 580 Pulse does pretty much the same thing as the nitro. When the comp goes into sleep mode, there is no signal sent to the monitor and there for all you see is black.

I'm wondering if this is a bios issue since my older card worked fine in this regard. Please advise.

Comp is 2010 5,1

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
So I had a Sapphire Nitro RX 580 and sent it back to the seller because the card would not give a signal to the screen after trying to wake up the computer from sleep. I had to reboot my computer a few times in order for the screen to reappear.

I went back to my older ATI Radeon 5870 which worked with Mojave but there was flickering in the meantime until the new card came in the mail.

The new Sapphire RX 580 Pulse does pretty much the same thing as the nitro. When the comp goes into sleep mode, there is no signal sent to the monitor and there for all you see is black.

I'm wondering if this is a bios issue since my older card worked fine in this regard. Please advise.

Comp is 2010 5,1
Ah, yes...pass the loss onto the seller because you fail to understand why specific firmware of GPUs are required for being initialized at boot-time or entering/resuming from power saving states along with other software/hardware compatibility. There's a reason that card wasn't intended to be supported on the macOS platform by Sapphire or even marketed by them to be used with Apple software/hardware. Could that card be used with Apple software/hardware after a firmware change? Probably. Did you do proper research prior to purchasing? Nope.

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Ah, yes...pass the loss onto the seller because you fail to understand why specific firmware of GPUs are required for being initialized at boot-time or entering/resuming from power saving states along with other software/hardware compatibility. There's a reason that card wasn't intended to be supported on the macOS platform by Sapphire or even marketed by them to be used with Apple software/hardware. Could that card be used with Apple software/hardware after a firmware change? Probably. Did you do proper research prior to purchasing? Nope.
The card supports metal in Mojave and is recommended by Apple. Is anybody else having the same issue? Not really.

So what is the solution to fixing it oh wise one?

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
That's the whole point. There was nothing wrong with the video card; it was your inability to do research. And then you stiffed the seller by sending it back by making up some excuse that the card was malfunctioning whenever it was your idiotic decision making.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
That's the whole point. There was nothing wrong with the video card; it was your inability to do research. And then you stiffed the seller by sending it back by making up some excuse that the card was malfunctioning whenever it was your idiotic decision making.

And is it really that hard for AMD to write a driver for the thousands of paying Apple customers? What gives?

Last edited by a moderator: