sArchiver - The Killer Archiver for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bit Per Second, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Bit Per Second, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011

Bit Per Second macrumors newbie

Hello,
    My name is Yuriy Georgiev and I am CEO of Bit Per Second software company.
    I'm glad to present to you our product sArchiver.
    We spend an year of developing and we believe it is one of the best, most advanced and user friendly archivers for Mac out there.

It supports long range of archive formats:
    • Complete RAR support (compress, extract, password protect, volumes, comments)
    • 7z
    • Zip
    • LHA
    • ARJ
    • DMG
    • Tar
    • Tgz
    • Bzip2

• We developed an unique technology of self-extracting. sArchiver is able to create SFX archives that are totally independent and does not need any archiver to be extracted. This is freedom!

• sArchiver have integrated archive converter.
    • An integrated DMG image creation utility.
    • Integrated backup system.
    • sArchiver can open/preview files without extracting the whole archive

And a lot more features you just have to see by your self!

And last but not least -- it's a real peace of art! It's not just the next square that calculates and do some stuff.

We hope you gonna love it as we do!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how the self-extracting (SFX) archive looks like:
    [​IMG]

For more information and download, visit our home page:

http://www.bitpersecond.com

Your comments are very welcome.

Sincerely,

Yuriy Georgiev,
    Bit Per Second CEO

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

It looks OK but it seems a bit steep price to pay for an archive application when there are many out there that are free or very cheap.

3. Bit Per Second thread starter macrumors newbie

I do absolutely agree with you that there are a lot free and cheaper archivers out there.
    But I would like to encourage you to test it for a while and see by yourself how much great features it has. Some of them are even unique and does not exists in any of the alternatives out there.

4. barduck macrumors newbie

Looks promising.

Can it completely replace the built-in archiver?

Is it available on the Mac App Store?

5. Bit Per Second thread starter macrumors newbie

Even better than the build-in archiver, it is able to create cross-platform ready archives by removing the system files ".ds_store" and directories "__macosx", which are really confusing for the Windows users.

Unfortunately it's still not available on the Mac App Store, but you can buy it via PayPal from our home page.

Thank you for your interest.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I do think it looks like it has potential, but from a customer stand point, why would I bother trying it out when I know that I cannot justify paying that much for it. Especially when I know that I can get something that does what I want for much less; although it may not be as elegant. Seems like a catch-22 situation, and I can see others feeling the same way.

Originally I thought about asking for a promo-code (if it was on the MacStore, but it isn't) and even then, I figured it would be a waste because I couldn't fairly review it knowing the price involved.

7. Bit Per Second thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe that everyone have the right to choose which is the best for himself.
    Some people prefer the best, other just want get them work done.
    We give you a complete solution which has charm.

We absolutely won't obtrude our product. We just want to share it with you.

As to the price I would like to underline that a lot archivers costs the same value. I think it's a standard price for such product.

Thank you for your comment.

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Sorry not trying to sound rude or anything, just trying to tell you the way I see it from a consumer. I don't have a problem spending money on software but I do try to do research before buying anything and thus try to get the best value for the money I do spend.

I hope that you do fine with your software, I mean, it is obvious that you spent time and put a lot of effort into it and I hope you're successful. Good Luck.

9. Giuly, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

To the guys wondering about the price: At least the rar archiver is not free, officially even the command line utility you can download free of charge is a 40 day trail. So anything that can archive rar files costs money. I know that UnRarX had provision for ACE, and as they chose to not implement it completely, I guess even unace requires royalties.
    A single user license for WinRAR (and command line rar) is $29 plus $4.99 for online shop maintainace, so if all you want is a license for that, this is a great deal (in case you obtain this with the purchase).

No, I'm not affiliated, I do open source - and thus just unrar, and no rar.

Yuriy: Nice one, but one year is a long time for this. I don't think that the smoke graphics in the background comply with the Human Interface Guidelines, though. And IMHO that's a good thing - however that Russian kind of style is arguable. You seem to either never read or just ignore the HIG, as all of your software don't really respect them.

The SFX files are easy to implement, a waste of disk space and I don't think that anybody will ever use it - Mac OS X can do DMG, Zip, Tar, bzip2 and gzip natively, and that's what people will use for archives that are intended to be extracted on a Mac. In my tests, bzip2 busted rar in most aspects, anyways.

10. Bit Per Second thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your comment and the detailed information you included for the rest of the users.

P.S.: The decorations (the smoke and the left side one) are optional and can be toggled from the preferences menu.

11. Bit Per Second thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

sArchiver had been recently updated.
    You can now create archives directly by dropping files on sArchiver's icon.

12. Bit Per Second thread starter macrumors newbie

Update v3.7.2

sArchiver is now from 5% (on Lion) to 12% (on Snow Leopard) faster.

13. Bit Per Second thread starter macrumors newbie