Sart Up Disk Almost Full?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toogoodius, Jun 12, 2010.

1. toogoodius macrumors member

Hello,

I'm getting warned that my start up disk is almost full but I do not know how to deal with it. I'd be extremely grateful for help.

thanks n advance
    Colin

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You need to delete things from your Startup Disk (Macintosh HD).

Start by emptying the trash if it has a lot in it.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For starters, how much GB/MB of how much GB/MB capacity are used and free, and have you emptied the Trash like calderone proposed?

You can try Disk Inventory X, OmniDisk Sweep or GrandPerspective to scan your HDD for big files/folders.

similar threads

4. toogoodius thread starter macrumors member

Hey

thanks for responding...

my Trash is empty except for: a Plain Text file that I cannot remove. I don't know what it is but its name is: MSO8AAC6FB7091; there's also a 'recovered Files' folder in the trash and that has another copy of the same Plain Text file in it. Any ideas what it is?

I am afraid that I'm pretty new to Macs. The 'start up disk' message confused me but I have now just checked my Hard Drive and it is getting near to full so I'm assuming that's the problem!

Fingers crossed and thanks again fro helping

Colin

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Unless you can tell us the exact name of the text file, or make a screen shot of it, we can only guess.
    To store files externally, look at this guide (albeit a bit older) for external HDDs.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

6. toogoodius thread starter macrumors member

sorted

just to thank everybody for their tips.

They were all very useful and I'm all sorted now

cheers!