Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
i accidentally sat on my iPhone SE and then realized no damages happened. I sat on it while it was on my bed.

Anyways, I thought to myself that this phone feels and looks wel built compared to the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S7 phones.

Has anyone say on their iPhone SE or even all other newer iPhones?

I still think that the SE is well built and much more rugged.

Of course, I would not throw it or drop it, but how many of you even carry your iPhones in your back pocket and sit on it?

Do you realize some damages?
I see some people who tend to put their iPhones in their back pockets.

I'm sure if It was an iPhone 6 that I had sat on, some damages might had occurred compared to an iPhone SE.

I even held an iPhone 6 before and the construction felt light and cheap.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I sat on my 6S plus last night. It's still doing well. No damages. Just the same as before I sat on it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The iPhone SE is a great phone and has a great build quality, but for that matter, any iPhone you sit on is subject to damage, no matter how durable the Phone is.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
i accidentally sat on my iPhone SE and then realized no damages happened. I sat on it while it was on my bed.

I'm sure if It was an iPhone 6 that I had sat on, some damages might had occurred compared to an iPhone SE.

You sound like you're trying too hard to justify owning an SE.

Ive sat down with an iPhone 5 in my pocket. Ive sat down with a 6S. And a 6S+. Ive sat in cars, on benches, on grass, on streets and on beds. Ive seen my kids step on their iPad Mini. I've caught them standing on my iPad Pro 12.9. I've seen my wife's 6S+ fall out of a purse and onto concrete. I regularly throw my 6S+ like a frisbee across the room and onto the couch. I've had my kids see me do that and grab the phone and throw it back at me and hit our stone countertop while I was yelling "No, Dont!". And you know what? No damage.

After years and years of being fairly abusive to my tech then they've survived everything because my gadgets are tools and I treat them like tools.

My point in all this? EVERY Apple product is built for use and abuse. But that doesn't mean they are immune to damage. People break 4" phones just as often as they break 3.5" phones, 5.5' phones or 9.7" tablets. But its not usually crazy adventure, its often a crazy fluke where the product survived a skydive crash but didn't survive a 12" fall out of a car door. So if you're really worried about sitting on a bed and damaging your products then shell out the money for a Squaretrade or Applecare warranty because it doesnt matter what you buy. Things break.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I sit on my 6s at least once a day.

I did the exact same thing with my iPhone 5 for the three years I owned it.

Were you honesty expecting it to be damaged because you sat on it whilst it was on the bed?

Are you like 800lb? Is your bed made of stone?

This is honestly one of the strangest threads I've seen on this forum.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Let's be real here. The build quality of the iPhone SE is the same as the iPhone 5s, which is obsolete and wrinkled old. Yes it may be durable. But just like the old Nokia phone

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
A perfect example of how squeaky wheels and 24-hr media have influenced public perception. If someone thinks it's newsworthy that his/her phone didn't bend when sat upon (on a bed, no less) then something is wrong.

This is largely why I get so irritated when members start fishing for the next "scandalous" iPhone-gate problem.

I'm conservative in every sense of the word, but every time I visit my parents and a Fox News ALERT flashes across the screen, I'm somehow reminded of reading Henny Penny to my daughter.

IMG_0576.JPG

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think that the lack of SE-specific threads in this forum testify to the "it just works" nature of the device. Most don't consider it "sexy" by today's standards (I think it has a classic beauty to it) and doesn't have the bells and whistles of the latest flagship devices (because it's not a flagship phone). But IMO it is in the top 10 phones currently available.

In this case I think "silence is golden". :D

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I think that the lack of SE-specific threads in this forum testify to the "it just works" nature of the device. Most don't consider it "sexy" by today's standards (I think it has a classic beauty to it) and doesn't have the bells and whistles of the latest flagship devices (because it's not a flagship phone). But IMO it is in the top 10 phones currently available.

In this case I think "silence is golden". :D

Agreed. We're at the point were phone upgrades are an afterthought, rather than exciting. I miss the small form factor, and I want a headphone jack, so I'm going to go from my iPhone 6 to the SE. I just don't care that much about the newest features anymore, as phones have reached the point that they're all pretty good.

Reactions: sracer

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't know that sitting on a phone once while on a bed is a very good litmus test for durability. I mean, if it would have been damaged, you could probably conclude it's pretty shoddy construction. But I don't expect either the 6 or the galaxy you mention would exhibit any damage after such meager strain either....
[doublepost=1472876738][/doublepost]
A perfect example of how squeaky wheels and 24-hr media have influenced public perception. If someone thinks it's newsworthy that his/her phone didn't bend when sat upon (on a bed, no less) then something is wrong.

This is largely why I get so irritated when members start fishing for the next "scandalous" iPhone-gate problem.

I'm conservative in every sense of the word, but every time I visit my parents and a Fox News ALERT flashes across the screen, I'm somehow reminded of reading Henny Penny to my daughter.

View attachment 648006
I thought it was chicken little?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I don't know that sitting on a phone once while on a bed is a very good litmus test for durability. I mean, if it would have been damaged, you could probably conclude it's pretty shoddy construction. But I don't expect either the 6 or the galaxy you mention would exhibit any damage after such meager strain either....
[doublepost=1472876738][/doublepost]
I thought it was chicken little?
It's gone back and forth since mid-1800's. They're interchangeable. Our daughter's version happens to be "Henny Penny," so most likely why I went with that.

Reactions: lordofthereef

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
This thread is over 5 years old. They might not even still be married. ??‍♂️

How does one dig up an old thread like this and reply to a random post in it?
Oh my god ! What is wrong with people ! All I said is that she will sit on you ! Please take this in a literal sense! There is no inner meaning to it! Come on ! Don’t stress your brain here ! I did not mean anything sinister here !

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Not stressing. Forget your actual response. Seriously wonder how you dig up an old thread like this and respond to it. Just curious.

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
Not stressing. Forget your actual response. Seriously wonder how you dig up an old thread like this and respond to it. Just curious.
Lol ! It’s because I sat on my phone 13 pro max today ! So I started to Google this ?
Sorry I did not meant to offend you with my earlier post!

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately

Anyways, I thought to myself that this phone feels and looks wel built compared to the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S7 phones.

Has anyone say on their iPhone SE or even all other newer iPhones?

I still think that the SE is well built and much more rugged.

Of course, I would not throw it or drop it, but how many of you even carry your iPhones in your back pocket and sit on it?

No I haven’t sat on one yet. Does bearing your upper weight elbow on one count ?🤣
I think I iPhones are solid, I see many folks in Florida with iPhones tightly tucked into their rear skinny jeans back pocket. The pressure on the iphone especially when bending over or squatting down must be phenomenal.

Reactions: Raajj

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
No I haven’t sat on one yet. Does bearing your upper weight elbow on one count ??
I think I iPhones are solid, I see many folks in Florida with iPhones tightly tucked into their rear skinny jeans back pocket. The pressure on the iphone especially when bending over or squatting down must be phenomenal.
Oh wow!
Thats reassuring Thanks !

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
So this is how 2022 begins… with a Sitting Gate. Jokes aside, iPhone 4, 5, SE, 12 and on, they all have that solid feel in your hands, like nothing could possibly bend them.

Reactions: Raajj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.