SATA 2/3 and sharp edges?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Doc69, May 14, 2011.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

Whats the deal with SATA 2 or SATA 3 on the 2011 MBPs? Does a firmware fix guarantee SATA 3 or are there machines out there that are only SATA 2? Is optical bay SATA 2?

The supposedly sharp edges on the front, is that problem only with the 2011 MBPs or also with the 2010s?

2. Crwoo macrumors newbie

they have sata 3, i have never seen a 2010 mbp with sharp edges, and i have seen a 2011 that does have them, mine does not though

3. Vurius macrumors newbie

The harddrive bay has SATA 3, but it's really a tossup as to whether your optical drive bay has SATA 2 or SATA 3. My 2011 17" mbp has 2 to the optical drive bay, but some others have reported SATA 3 on theirs. There's no external way to tell what your machine will have without booting it up, unfortunately.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Like was said above, either you get lucky or you don't. From the other thread, it seems that with the 15", the 2.2GHz, hi-res glossy is your best bet for SATA-3 x2. We only found one person that had that config and didn't get the dual SATA-3.

Main HDD port is always SATA-3 though.

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Sharp Edge

It's a design flaw. No consumer product should have edges that sharp.

It costs nothing to round the edges ... form over function to the point of stupidity in this case.

Please write Apple about it, as I and thousands of others have. It's the only way there's any hope of the flaw not being repeated in future designs.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html