SATA 2 Hard Drive With Motion Sensor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KJmoon117, Feb 28, 2011.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Can anyone recommend me a SATA 2 HDD with a built in motion sensor?

I'm thinking about doing an Optibay mod with the HDD in the optical bay so I would need a HDD with a built in motion sensor. Preferably under 150$, could be from 200-750GB, and spinning at 5400rpm (7200rpm seems like a power drain/noise+heat maker)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The SMS is part of Mac OS X, not the drive. It doesn't matter what drive you install.

Apple Portables: About the Sudden Motion Sensor

3. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The sudden motion sensor does not work for HDDs in the optical bay, only in the hard drive bay. I plan on installing a SATA 3 SSD in the main drive bay so I will be turning off Apple's SMS feature. So I need a drive that has it's own SMS feature built in?

4. simsaladimbamba

Not to step on your feet, but it kind of does, as purchasing an HDD with some kind of Anti-Shock-System (abbreviated ARSE) might conflict with the built in SMS. When I was looking for the Momentus, I had to make sure to buy the non-arsed version.
    But other than that, SMS will suffice for any HDD and should save an arse or two. Fanny.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see what you mean. Sorry, I missed the part about it being for the optibay.

6. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually a slight variance of the question... I am thinking of 5400rpm drives due to their low power consumption but I've read that the Scorpio blacks take up just the same amount of power.

However, I am concerned about the noise and heat. Is it bad?

7. eC1990ho macrumors member

8. LaazyEye macrumors regular

So I'm to assume the stock hard drive in the MBP does not have this?

Edit: Just realized the ssd I bought is 2.2+- gbps, so whatever... i guess i dont need it on a SATA 3 port anyway.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't need it, because Mac OS X does.

10. simsaladimbamba

Isn't the Black Scorpio a 7200RPM HDD? If so, it will be louder and vibrate more. MRoogle has some threads on it.

What? The above part?

The stock HDD in the MB and MBP does not have any kind of ASS, as the MB and MBP already have the Sudden Motion Sensor built into the logic board.

11. LaazyEye, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

LaazyEye macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant to ask if the HDD had it, so that I may install it onto the ODDs SATA path. So OSX has it, does that mean if i install a platter hdd in the ODD spot, the OS will cover it with SMS?

12. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I believe that the SMS does not affect the ODD bay

13. eC1990ho macrumors member

So putting the 5400rpm stock from apple in the optibay is a terrible idea? :p

14. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't call the idea terrible but it's not really recommended. I'm tempted to do this myself seeing that it's really hard finding a decent drive with a built in motion sensor.

As for the WD Scorpio, turns out the heat and noise isn't that bad so im ok with a 7200 rpm drive :)

15. eC1990ho macrumors member

How badly will this affect the HDD anyway?
    If you move your laptop around alot , will it break?