SATA-300 on 2 GHz MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nitro2k01, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nitro2k01 macrumors newbie

I have a 2 GHz MB, and I'm considering going SSD. However, one thing that bothers me is whether I'll be able to use SATA-300 to max out the speed from the SSD. (I have an Intel X25 in mind.)

I've seen this talk about the ICH8-M being able to perform 3.0 Gbps, and that Apple supposedly released a firmware update enabling it ages ago. But I haven't found anything conclusive on the subject. Furthermore, System Profiler tells me this:
    Code:
      Vendor:	Intel
      Product:	ICH8-M AHCI
      Link Speed:	1.5 Gigabit
      Negotiated Link Speed:	1.5 Gigabit
      Description:	AHCI Version 1.10 Supported
    Since my current disk, a WD3200, is supposed to support a SATA-300 link, and SP reports a 1.5Gbps link, that gets my hopes down.

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Don't know about the firmware update, but from Wikipedia:

So even with 1.5Gbit, most of the time you'll either not reach the max, or max it out. Either way, you'll definitely notice the huge speed increase, albeit a bit less with certain operations compared to an SATA3 interface.

3. nitro2k01 thread starter macrumors newbie

So as it turns out, the patch was for MB Pro and Mac Minis. So no luck for my white MB. I'll still be buying an X25 though. It's not like it's a bad investment anyway. And I'll probably get a better computer in the future.

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I have a similar MB and also thinking about the Intel SSD. Not sure which size though, and hoping for a price drop somewhere in the next few months :) But I'm pretty sure that despite the 1.5Gbit throughput it'll be a world of difference. And like you say, it's always usable in newer computer.