SATA 6G SSD and HD in 2011 MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by polbit, Jul 1, 2011.

1. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I initially bought the 128gb C300 SSD to replace my original 750gb HD. I lived with it for few weeks, but just needed more space, so I swapped them back. Unfortunately, once you have sampled SSD speeds, it's really, really hard to go back to a 5,400rpm HD...

I finally ordered the OWC Data Doubler, and just installed it this morning. I left the 750Gb HD in stock location, and put the SSD in the doubler. Installation was a snap, and the Data Doubler is really nicely made (although I have nothing to compare it to, never seen any other replacement trays). Since my SSD was previously made bootable, at boot time I selected it to boot, then pointed my home directory to the HD once logged in.

I am happy to report that everything works great, no issues of any kind after running it for about 4 hours, with multiple sleep+hybernate cycles, etc. Love the combo, and I finally have my speed back!

Polbit

2. slieu92 macrumors regular

this question is based on my assumption that by "SATA 6G" you mean that your SSD is SATA 3.

how is the speed of the SSD coming from your HDD's SATA port to your optical drive's SATA port? i've read around here that the 2011 macbook pros only have one SATA 3 port. correct me if i'm wrong. i want to know because i'm thinking about removing my optical drive and having that same set up due to the sudden motion sensor being only for the HDD space/slot.

3. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

My understanding is that some 2011 MBPs have that port as SATA III, and some as SATA II. Mine reports as SATA II, and I have had no problems (other than a slight drop in numbers, but nothing I can tell by using it). If yours reports as SATA III, then you have a good chance of having issues with a SATA III SSD on that port.

Polbit

4. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

The MBP has Sata II in the opti drive bay... and Sata III in the main bay, end of story.

That means, in order to really use a sata III drive you have to put it in the main bay otherwise its just a waste.

What you could do is get a proper drive to replace the stock drive ALONG with your ssd... The WD Scorp Black has build in sms and it will work in the opti bay. Then put the ssd in the main bay and wupti you're flying.

I took my stock drive and put it in an Icybox. Turned it into an external 750gb harddrive formatted in exFat, so I can transport files between my pc and apple systems.

5. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

Glad you cleared it all up. Just make sure you tell that to all those people that have SATA III in optical bay. They must be crazy. Oh, and I can't believe I'm totally wasting my SSD. What was I thinking!

6. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Ah I see it now... seems a lot of people buying the 2011 recently are getting 6gbit even in the optibay.
    However also seems like the people who have this are having a lot of problems with the drives they put in it.