Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Does or has anybody here ever used any SATA cards + hard drives with Mac OS Classic? I know there's quite a few options out there but wasn't sure which ones worked or what the deal is in that category...

I noticed the basic Sonnet Tempo 2-port SATA PCI card found here is listed as being compatible with as low as Mac OS 8.0. That's really low. Would that be without any sort of drivers? If it needed drivers, how would it be able to boot (as it says it is capable of) in the first place? Has anyone ever used this particular card?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Does or has anybody here ever used any SATA cards + hard drives with Mac OS Classic? I know there's quite a few options out there but wasn't sure which ones worked or what the deal is in that category...

I noticed the basic Sonnet Tempo 2-port SATA PCI card found here is listed as being compatible with as low as Mac OS 8.0. That's really low. Would that be without any sort of drivers? If it needed drivers, how would it be able to boot (as it says it is capable of) in the first place? Has anyone ever used this particular card?

Yes, many cards work without drivers and therefore are bootable.

If it needs drivers, DON'T BUY IT.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
So that Sonnet card, it says it's bootable, and says it's compatible with Mac OS 8.0. So what are the chances that this might as well work with Mac OS 7.6.1? After all, 8.0 and 7.6.1 use the same filing system, and aren't really that much different other than in appearance. I wonder if Sonnet just says 8.0 so they don't have to support people running 7.x.

Any reason why it wouldn't work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.