SATA Blu-Ray Drive in Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Stoick, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Stoick macrumors newbie

I was wanting to install a Blu-ray drive in my Mac Pro to play movies in bootcamp on my ACD (I know it doesn't have HDCP).

What I was wondering if any one had installed a SATA Blu-Ray drive using an IDE converter and if that works alright?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You know it doesn't have HDCP. That means you know it won't work.

I have a Blu-ray/HD DVD drive that I'll be putting into my Mac Pro for the same purpose. Is there ROOM for an IDE to SATA converter? I'm afraid that there isn't even room for the SATA power to standard power dongle...

You can plug it directly into one of the unused SATA ports on the motherboard.

3. Stoick thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot about those!

And I will be using AnyDVD HD which will zap the copyright protection.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

the mac pro has 2 spare sata input on the motherboard for you so you dont need a converter, have a look at your system profiler, they are down and right from the optical bay, almost behind the cpu 'compartment.
    I am hoping to get one myself for ripping to.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes! Tanj in torment, I forgot about that! That's what I was going to use, too, since MY monitors aren't HDCP compliant either!

HDCP is... yeah. Here's the instruction for how to get to the open SATA ports. Just ignore the HDD parts and do it with your ODD.

6. Irae macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am in the very same situation I have a LG Bluray drive sitting next to me and then I read that the two onboard SATA ports are not going to be recognised by Windows because of lacking bootcamp drivers.

The only solutions would be external drive, IDE to SATA conversion (either internal or external) or terrible messing around with bootloader and Linux. So all of these solutions lack something and none is very Apple like. :/

It would be great if someone could confirm if these SATA ports are being recognised by Win or not.

Regards

7. Pat H macrumors member

I remember reading that these ports are not recognized by bootcamp. I'm sure there's probably some sort of workaround if you search for it.

8. Irae macrumors newbie

Or is there some useful "workaround" ?

9. dchao macrumors 6502a

We are only talking about movies and not boot drive.

One Windows has booted up, bootcamp is no longer involved. If Windows has a driver it will recognize it and work.

10. dchao macrumors 6502a

11. Irae macrumors newbie

You just found these drivers and think they work or you do know they work because you tested them with a Bluray drive ?