SATA cable randomly go bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cookiesnfooty, Jan 19, 2013.

1. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Hi so I have been using a Macbook Pro with 2x 512GB SSDs in RAID for nearly a year, I suddenly start getting beach balls, I disable trim as I remember RAID isn't meant to use TRIM and this still didn't work.

I then took the drives out put them in the pc and confirmed all was normal read and write stats the same and fine, after swapping drives around and noticing just one drive having issues I came to conclusion it must be SATA cable, as i'm no hardware expert is this likely to be the cause or could even 1 SATA controller go bad and not the other?

Thanks.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I'm guessing it's the HDD data cable, not the ODD one?

Those cables are incredibly thin, and if bent a little too far, they can break easily (it's quite common). If you're under warranty, pop to Apple, if not, they're relatively cheap :)

3. cookiesnfooty thread starter macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Thing is cable was fine all this time and not opened :confused:

4. mikepro macrumors 6502

I had either the cable or the and adapter plug (part that plugs into the DVD or HDD) go bad in my optical bay. Started getting tons of beach balls when accessing drive in that bay. Had been fine for months. Put the original DVD drive back in there, same thing. Went to Apple store and they replaced DVD drive and cable. Took out DVD drive and put my HD and optibay back in, has worked fine ever since.

So, yeah, they can go bad....