SATA card for G5 Jive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jtt, Nov 29, 2007.

1. jtt macrumors regular

Is the Sonnet Tempo SATA X4i the best card to get more drives in my DP 2.3 G5 to connect with a Jive bracket?

I'm planning on adding three 500gb drives for storage and Time Machine along with a 150gb Raptor boot drive and the stock 250gb drive for a scratch when I upgrade to Leopard. I appreciate any other recommended scenarios.

Thanks

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I had one of those in my old G5. I only had two extra drives in there and they caused power and heat issues. As someone who used this setup I would try to avoid it at all costs. Seems like a great way to add storage but it can really screw you. If I had to do it again I would go all external instead. My two cents.

3. drx1 macrumors newbie

SATA cards

Its been awhile, but I did that setup - though it is somewhat different:
    G5 2.3DC, 2.5GB RAM, X1900, HighPoint SATA card, 3x 300GB in the "front" bay .... 10K/70GB Raptor (boot) and 400GB data/scratch (last two on stock SATA I). It works great - and the only heat issue I've had are in the PCI bays - specifically with the X1900, which was cause in part by dust. The CPU/memory bay is fine, slightly warmer .. and there are utilities you can get that will see some or all the temp senser on your rig ... so you should see the temps in that bay (maybe in incoming air temp and outgoing .. I forget).

Anyway, the setup works great, but my Highpoint card is a bit whack and I had to replaced the X1900 after 11 months of use (my house is a fairly dusty, which is unfortunate). I am looking to upgrade to larger/faster drives... and a better SATA card (or cards). I also have the stock nVidia GF 6600 (re-installed after heat issues) and it seems to help the X1900, I'm guess it catches some of the dust - OR - gives a higher heat reading to the sensor.

I would think just about any set of three, 7200RPM drives would be fine in that bay, though the 10K and 15K would probably stress things to much for long term reliable use.