Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caesar_091

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Italy
Hi all,
I'm looking for a PCIe SATA controller for my Mac Pro 1,1 with both internal* and external (to connect two external drives) ports

*internal SATA port needed to connect an LG BluRay drive (GGW-H20L) actually connected to the ODD SATA port (but I want to use it on Windows too and I would like to upgrade firmware without opening my Mac or using the AHCI mode).

Have somebody found a controller like this?

TIA :)

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
I believe there used to be a Sonnet Tempo eSATA card with "4+4" ports (4 internal, 4 external) but it's not listed on their site now, so it's probably obsolete. I'm also not sure if it was PCI or PCIe. Might be worth a little eBay searching?

Edit: on checking, I think it was PCI-X only. Sorry! :) Can you not use the motherboard SATA port for your internal drive and an eSATA (external ports only) card ?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
There's not a single card that can do what you want. :(

The cheapest, would be this (and you'd need 2x, as it can only operate 2x ports, not 4). The description is misleading, but you can configure it as a 2+0, 1+1, or 0+2 configuration. Get the Drivers from SIL (here) or try Sonnet (their SIL3132 card drivers have worked for some with this card).

There's also cards from Highpoint that you could use a pair of them (620 and 622, internal and external 2 port cards respectively). But so far, they've not developed the Mac drivers as promised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.