Sata Controller

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kboller07, May 27, 2009.

1. kboller07 macrumors member

I have installed 2 extra hdd's in my 2008 mac pro using the 2 extra sata ports. I was wondering if it would be possible to install a sata controller in the mac pro to increase my sata ports so I can add 2 more sata drives instead of the remaining optical drive. And if I can where would it go.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes. :D

Location: any open PCIe slot, but you'd probably want to install it in slot 3 or 4, as they're 4x lane. (Saves the 16x for something else that could use the bandwidth).

3. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

thanks nanofrog.

i have an apple raid card that i bought with the computer and maxupgrades told me that because of this i should have 4 onboard connectors free. are they right?

I'm sorry it must sound like such a stupid question but i honestly have no idea.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

By disconnecting the iPass cable from the logic board to the RAID card, you do in fact get the 4 ports back. But you need a particular cable (MiniSAS*4i). It has the SFF-8087 connector on one end, and 4 SATA/SAS connectors on the 4 breakout lines. Depending on the specific cable, it may also include a small ribbon cable for a backplane (RAID enclosure data, specifically SATA only boxes). You don't have to use it, as the drives will still work if left unconnected.

As for finding room, it's possible. Particularly if you uninstall the optical drive, and place it in an external case. Perhaps not the prettiest way to go, but it will work, and won't cost a fortune (eBay has them at good prices last I looked. ;)

5. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

I guess it seems easier to add sata controller. do you recommend any particular one because I googled them for macs and there seem to be many to choose from.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

On the inexpensive side, take a look at a company called Syba. NitroAV, and Sonnet make Mac compatible cards as well.

Hope this helps. :)

BTW, if you search the forum, you'll find a few threads on it.

7. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

ok. thanks a lot nanofrog you've been a huge help.:D