Sata drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adrianp918, Feb 20, 2013.

1. adrianp918 macrumors newbie

Can i use any sata hard drive in my mac book or does it have to be a mac hard drive,

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no such thing as a "Mac hard drive", you can use any 2.5" S-ATA drive with a maximum height of 9.5 mm or 12.5 mm, depending on your MacBook model.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Actually there are mac hard drives. On the logo there is an apple logo. Although they do not manufacturer their own, mac hard drives come with sudden motion sensors and are quieter than the cheapo hard drives. But they don't sell them directly to consumers.

To answer your question, you can get an SATA hard drive that has a 2.5 inch platter and stick with 9.5 mm height or less. SSD's are even more tricky because TRIM isn't enabled by default but can be fixed with a software plugin.

4. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean the Toshiba and Seagte drives Apple uses with their own sticker on them? And the Sudden Motion Sensor is not built into those drives, it is built into the logic board.

5. BellsRinging macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever experienced the activation of the sudden motion sensor? It sounds potentially useful judging by the links you posted, especially for a laptop, but I'm wondering if it really works.

6. leman macrumors G3

The difference between 'Apple' HDDs and normal HDDs is that Apple ones might have a custom firmware. Although, nobody knows what (and if) special features such firmware has. Anyway, even without Apple firmware the drive will work jut fine in your laptop.