sata dvd burner?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kagamushu, Oct 15, 2008.

1. kagamushu macrumors newbie

Hello,
    i was wondering what the difference is between a sata dvd burner and one that isn't. I was looking at the following one:Sony DRU-V200S/BR DVD Rewritable Drive SATA and was wondering if it is compatible with my macpro. Also, does it require extra cables?
    thanks

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

The optical drive/s in the Mac Pro use an IDE (PATA) interface. You can install a SATA unit though, just connect to one of the ODD ports. You will need a SATA cable (cheap & easy), preferably one that has a right angle on one end.

If you plan to use a drive with a SATA interface in windows via Boot Camp, it can be done, but requires a little effort. You would have to install the AHCI drivers. This may help you with installation. :)

3. kagamushu thread starter macrumors newbie

hey,
    thanks for your reply. What is the ODD port? Will i still be able to plug in 4 harddrives if i go with a sata drive?
    thanks

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

ODD= Optical Disk Drive

There are two on the logic board. If you count the 4 SATA ports that make up the iPass connector (HDD's), you have a grand total of 6 SATA ports. If you need more, you will have to purchase a PCIe card.

Hope this helps. :)

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

As far as I know the two additional SATA ports on the motherboard were never intended to be used with anything. So calling them ODD ports is incorrect. Unless you can provide documentation they are just SATA ports and nothing more.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

That's the label used on the logic board itself. :eek:

Also, search the forum, as this is the label used in threads, and a few members have even uploaded images, and the label can be read. Easier than opening your own, and having to locate them. ;)

[​IMG]

The additional ports were available on the specific SATA Controller chip used (i.e. Marvel), and were likely installed for the eventual switch from IDE/PATA to SATA optical drives. The second part of this statement is a guess, but is logical at any rate, and it does make life a bit more convenient for Mac Pro owners. :)

If you, or anyone else should decide to use them, they will work, even under windows once the AHCI drivers are installed. A number of members have successfully accomplished this. :)

How to install AHCI drivers

7. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

As stated by nanofrog ODD_SATA is what Apple calls the ports and they are ready for use. Six SATA ports on the motherboard all Intel ESB2 AHCI as shown:

Attached Files: