Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
Hi all,

I've got several 150gb HDs lying about that I'd like to hook up to my mac as external drives.

I've been looking for a while for good enclosures for them, but the vast majority of the available enclosures (that aren't well outside my budget) are pretty ugly... in my opinion anyway. A lot of the ones that DO look good are bundled with a HD and thus expensive (and unnecessary for me) or just plain very expensive on their own.

My mac looks nice and I'd really like all of it's attached bits and pieces to look reasonably nice too. I was wondering if anyone here owns/knows of some nice cases that would fit my needs?

My iMac is white but the cases do not have to be: I'd be happy with white, black or a grey/silver job. Even something that looks like this aluminium job would be fine: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP490ZM/A?cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle&fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTQ3NjI0Mw

Also, I'd need to buy 3 of them, so while they are nice and look great, I definitely can't afford 3 of these: http://www.epowermac.com.au/shop/pc/Mini_Stack-M9-DX2-Combo-Case-Only-358p652.htm

I don't have a massive budget and ideally I'd like to spend roughly $150 US, maybe a little more, on all three together (postage not included - though I will probably have to buy them online).

So my requirements are:
  • SATA/eSATA friendly
  • Is just a case, no HD included
  • looks nice in an 'apple' sort of way (although I'd probably accept something that just plain looked sexy if there is nothing that is Apple sexy :D)
  • <$60US - roughly

I would be very grateful for any suggestions, thank you.

EDIT: They are all 3.5" drives. Am looking at the Vantec models now...

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
But if anyone knows of good 2.5" enclosures, share the knowledge. I, too, have been struggling with finding one with a decent aesthetic, though I will be the first to admit that I'm picky. Haha.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
But if anyone knows of good 2.5" enclosures, share the knowledge. I, too, have been struggling with finding one with a decent aesthetic, though I will be the first to admit that I'm picky. Haha.

How about the rugged lacies? They're in the lacie refurb store at a reduced price (I've had good luck with their refurb stuff).

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
The vendor that most people overlook is ICYDOCK.

I got 3 of these external drives, daisy-chained together. Features FW 400/800, as well as USB 2.0, and the ability to hot-swap drives using their rail system.

The exterior casing is true "Mac mini" aluminium, and the front is fairly attractive with a bright white LED up front (which can sometimes be a little TOO bright). Stand up, with the retractable small feet, or lay down operation.

17-198-004-05.jpg

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

I have always been a fan of these on ebay. Tiny, cheap, aluminum, minimalist and no screws. Works great. I have a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.