SATA/eSATA friendly external enclosures with an 'apple' aesthetic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caelum, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Caelum macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've got several 150gb HDs lying about that I'd like to hook up to my mac as external drives.

I've been looking for a while for good enclosures for them, but the vast majority of the available enclosures (that aren't well outside my budget) are pretty ugly... in my opinion anyway. A lot of the ones that DO look good are bundled with a HD and thus expensive (and unnecessary for me) or just plain very expensive on their own.

My mac looks nice and I'd really like all of it's attached bits and pieces to look reasonably nice too. I was wondering if anyone here owns/knows of some nice cases that would fit my needs?

My iMac is white but the cases do not have to be: I'd be happy with white, black or a grey/silver job. Even something that looks like this aluminium job would be fine: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP490ZM/A?cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle&fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTQ3NjI0Mw

Also, I'd need to buy 3 of them, so while they are nice and look great, I definitely can't afford 3 of these: http://www.epowermac.com.au/shop/pc/Mini_Stack-M9-DX2-Combo-Case-Only-358p652.htm

I don't have a massive budget and ideally I'd like to spend roughly $150 US, maybe a little more, on all three together (postage not included - though I will probably have to buy them online).

So my requirements are:
    • SATA/eSATA friendly
    • Is just a case, no HD included
    • looks nice in an 'apple' sort of way (although I'd probably accept something that just plain looked sexy if there is nothing that is Apple sexy :D)
    • <$60US - roughly

I would be very grateful for any suggestions, thank you.

EDIT: They are all 3.5" drives. Am looking at the Vantec models now...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

But if anyone knows of good 2.5" enclosures, share the knowledge. I, too, have been struggling with finding one with a decent aesthetic, though I will be the first to admit that I'm picky. Haha.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

How about the rugged lacies? They're in the lacie refurb store at a reduced price (I've had good luck with their refurb stuff).

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

If you plan on using it with a Mac Pro, I'd say go for one of these. You could also get one of these enclosures and buy your own internal drive. That'll be cheaper.

6. Semiopaque macrumors regular

I agree w Bengt77, looks nice with some flexibility. Try here for some reviews and a good price.

Macally G-S350SUA

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I plan to try to pick one up soon and maybe put one of these in it for backups SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB.

7. esaleris macrumors 6502

The vendor that most people overlook is ICYDOCK.

I got 3 of these external drives, daisy-chained together. Features FW 400/800, as well as USB 2.0, and the ability to hot-swap drives using their rail system.

The exterior casing is true "Mac mini" aluminium, and the front is fairly attractive with a bright white LED up front (which can sometimes be a little TOO bright). Stand up, with the retractable small feet, or lay down operation.

[​IMG]

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

go for the OWC very high quality build and the hard drive goes to sleep when set in Energy Saver (some boards un external enclosures dont).

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The OP asked for an external enclosure, and everyone is suggesting complete harddrives...

I agree with the Vantex suggestion. I have a black one and it's a gorgeous case - matches my BlackBook pretty well. :) They also come in red and blue, maybe even some other colours.

This one looks like it would go well with your iMac:
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019010&cid=516.700

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I have always been a fan of these on ebay. Tiny, cheap, aluminum, minimalist and no screws. Works great. I have a few.

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

This is great, I think I'll end up buying one! Thanks!

12. blSwagger macrumors member