SATA external USB 2.0 enclosures that spin down?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chrysrobyn, Jun 27, 2009.

1. chrysrobyn macrumors member

I have a pair of PATA drives enclosed in 3.5" Macally Firewire only enclosures. They've been stable in this configuration for 4 years. I love them, but it's time to add to my capacity and 1+TB is calling me -- this seems to suggest SATA, especially if I want the lower temperature drives. My Macally drives are the aluminum ones, PHR-100AF I think, with no fans. The drives are completely silent when not in use; they spin up with the OS needs them and 5 minutes later, they spin down again. This is perfect.

I've done some research on USB2.0 enclosures, from Macally and from Thermaltake (both of which are good brands in my book), and they have no offerings that do SATA, USB 2.0 and spin down when not in use, with the last part being the hard part. Looking for USB 2.0 to keep flexibility for attaching to my Time Capsule and SATA for future needs. I don't care about eSATA or Firewire at this time or in the foreseeable future.

Can the Macrumors community recommend anything that fits this description? Preferably without a cooling fan (bonus points therefore for solid aluminum chassis).

2. thomas.binney macrumors newbie

Not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe worth checking out, I recently bought a Newer Technology "Voyager Q" from Otherworld Computing. It's external, but it isn't exactly an enclosure- the drive sits vertically in it like toast in a toaster. Since the drive isn't enclosed it doesn't have a fan, though there is a bit of drive noise when it spins with nothing to muffle it.

I picked up the model with firewire 800 and usb 2 (and a SATA connection I'll never use), but I think there's a cheaper one that's USB 2 only.

I like it since drives are nearly hot swappable making archiving and backing up a breeze. It isn't the prettiest piece of hardware around, but it works very well for me.