SATA hard drive noise?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by goldenlotus, Nov 3, 2007.

1. goldenlotus macrumors regular

I just bought a 500gig WD Caviar SATA hard drive for my Mac Pro. When it is being written to it creates noise in my speakers. I've had this problem with external hard drives before (Seagate) and thought I'd be avoiding this by going with an internal drive.

Could I have installed it incorrectly? Is there anything I can do, or should return it and see if I have better luck with a new one?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I just got the same hdd for my Mac Pro (WD5000AAKS). The primary drive that came with the computer is also a WD Caviar model. No noise from my speakers. It's just about impossible to install it incorrectly in these machines, only really fits one way. :cool:

What speakers do you have? Quite possible they're more susceptible to interference due to weak shielding or something, or maybe a wire is loose somewhere.

3. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

I have Event TR8's. They are professional audio monitors so I don't think they are the problem. I have also noticed that the average noise level of the computer is noticeably louder. Definitly not loud but it is louder.

4. Vroom macrumors newbie

Bumping this old thread. I just noticed the same problem, and it's the worst when working in Apple's pro apps (namely Final Cut Pro and Motion). It happens when reading the data (such as playing back the sequence) and not just writing.

I'm using JBL Creature speakers. They never gave me trouble before my Mac Pro. An important side note--the Mac Pro sends a squeeling noise to my speakers through the line-out if I don't also have something plugged into the headphone port.

Any ideas?