SATA HDD inside eMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 12, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If you use a 2.5" hard drive, with a 2.5"-3.5" adapter plate, certainly.

If you're talking a standard 3.5" hard drive, I don't know. You may have to modify the eMac's hard drive frame.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

My hard drive frame is already heavily bent up from trying to put a 3.5" SATA in there the problem was my adaptor was too high. This one is aproximently 1/2" to 1" shorter in height and would not be any taller than the HDD itself (I don't think it would be).

What 2.5 should i get? a 5400RPM (cheaper) or a 7200RPM (more expensive) also can get adaptors that allow two drives which im sure would be impossible to use in the HDD cage. Would i even NEED a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor or could i just velcro or duct tape the 2.5 drive to the HDD cage?

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Whatever works best for you - you could even go for SSDs!

And most dual-2.5-to-3.5 cages are made specifically to fit in the same space as a conventional 3.5" drive - but you would need to disconnect the optical drive to add the second drive connector.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Velcro and duct tape are passable(if not elegant) solutions for SSDs, but IMO are asking for trouble with a platter HDD. You really need to have a platter HDD anchored pretty firmly.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Not firmly; securely, but softly.

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I put the 500GB Laptop HDD from a laptop into a desktop and put one screw throw a random hole in a desktop case and its flops around but it is secure and the computer is never mover it works fine.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

If it flops around then it is not secure.

9. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

it flops around only when inside the case. When the computer is in operation the drive is stationary its only held in by one screw afterall

10. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

It doesn't matter; it flops around when it is moved, therefore it is not secure. If it were secure it would not flop around anywhere however you move it.

11. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

not possible to secure a laptop HDD into a desktop computer no mounting holes line up. The point of that statement was to say that HDDs work fine if they are not moved while in operation it will not hurt them.

So velcro or tape holding them there will be just fine.

12. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Having a hard drive loosely hard-mounted with one screw is worse than having it securely hard-mounted with two or more screw because it would not only transfer vibration to the frame, it would also rattle. Vibration is not good for a hard disk. A hard disk flopping around damages it even when it is off. If the holes don't line up then drill new holes. The best is to use some soft fasteners to attach it, like rubber straps or velcro.

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

i plan to get a 2.5-3.5 adaptor for it. Already have one in my NewEgg Wish list. It's just not a top priority right now

14. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Depending on where it mounts, you can just drill holes for it, and then screw it in place with some foam or rubber spacers.

15. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

It's Currently mounted inside of a HP Pavilion a824n. This case has a weird design where the HDD is mounted on the front of the case from the bottom mount holes. Due to the HDD being mounted right behind the Power button and LEDs the only way to mount it in the case as is if longer screws. But i dont have any laptop screws long enough. I suppose i could use Zip ties