SATA II: ADATA S599 vs 320

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dhtmlkitchen, Apr 13, 2011.

1. dhtmlkitchen, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

dhtmlkitchen macrumors newbie

A 15" MacBookPro5,1 (2008) Supports SATA II. And for this MBP, the newer SATA III drives degrade to SATA II speeds, providing no extra value for a lot of extra cost.

Intel 320 series is an SATA II drive that has been noted for its reliability as well as good random access speeds.

I want to compare Intel 320 to A-DATA's S599 drive -- a not often mentioned drive on these forums (I mroogled).

According to http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=484&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=8, A-DATA's S599 seems to outperform even Intel's X25-E drives for linear reads and writes. According to the author:
    The A-DATA's S599 seems like a better option. A 256GB S599 is now $531.14 on amazon, compared to $548.99 for a 300GB Intel 320 on newegg.

Tired of researching; time to get this deal done!

2. dhtmlkitchen thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any compelling reasons why not to buy the A-DATA drive? Or is it just not that good of a deal? Or did I stumble on a better drive that is competitively priced?

I want to make a purchase but want to hear of any problems or insights about these drives first. Eagerly awaiting smart replies...

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Is it just me or is this thread back to front ...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Maybe it is just me, but I have been following the SSD market pretty well for the last few months and I have never even heard of A-DATA? I would go with a known and respected vendor like Intel.

I don't see anything significant in the test results you linked that would push me toward the A-DATA product.

5. dhtmlkitchen thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll interpret that sentence with a fullstop, as it seems not to be a question.

A-DATA is well-known for RAM.
    Appeal to popularity?
    The tests compare Linear read/write. They test the A-DATA not against the Intel 320, but against the much faster Intel X25-E. In MB/s, the results are:
    A-DATA S599 257/249
    Intel X25-E 238/195

The MB/transfer rate percentage differential of the of S599 to 320 was:
    read: +8%
    write: +22%

For linear reads and writes, the S599 was significantly faster. I do not know that test is any good for determining perceived performance for launching apps, reading large files, recording digital audio.

Can someone here explain what linear read/write is in simple terms? (and if so, please do).

I don't know of a comparison with the S599 to Intel 320, but if the S599 is beating Intel x25-E, I suspect it would crush the 320.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You posed a question and I took the time to answer, then you respond with smartass remarks. Good luck getting help here. :rolleyes:

7. dhtmlkitchen thread starter macrumors newbie

Up for discussion is the A-DATA S599, the Intel 320, the Intel X25-E, and the tests linked. Anybody here have insights and criticism? I'd love to hear it.

8. Daytona 360 macrumors member

9. dhtmlkitchen thread starter macrumors newbie

The author finds that the tested drive which launched apps so quickly would hang and pause.
    So linear performance does not matter for small reads writes, but does that mean it is unimportant?

He goes on to state:
    From the A-DATA reviews article, the test for 4k reads/writes 120 sec, the S599 had 23448. The SandForce controlled drives were nearly double that.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=484&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=7

I wonder why the author did not compare the same drives in that benchmark. There is no test for Intel's X25-e there.

10. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be captain obvious here: are you trolling?

On topic. People are buying Intel drives mostly because of it reliability. If that's important to you, buy the Intel. Otherwise buy ADATA, or any other faster drives you prefer.
    Btw, I've used ADATA rams on my old PC desktops before, and they are honestly not that good :)

11. dhtmlkitchen, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

dhtmlkitchen thread starter macrumors newbie

SATA II: ADATA S599 vs 320

Just a friendly reminder: This thread is about "SATA II: ADATA S599 vs Intel 320".

Negative personal remarks, name calling, and flame bait are all off-topic. Please try to contribute smart replies, not noise.

My personal motivation is to learn enough about these two drives so that I can make an informed decision to buy one of them. The discussion is publicly available and archived for future MRoogler's, thus having the potential to benefit more than just me.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

... and this ladies and gentlemen is what we call irony.

13. dhtmlkitchen thread starter macrumors newbie

A-Data's S599 is a SandForce driven.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AData/S599_128_GB_SSD/4.html
    4k random read:174.5 MB/s
    4k random write: 61.68 MB/s

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4244/intel-ssd-320-review/3
    4k random read: 60.9 MB/s
    4k random write: 66.3 MB/s

Kitguru features some "real world" testing on it:
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/zardon/adata-s599-256gb-ssd-review/10/

Can't seem to find both the S599 and the Intel 320 in the same article.

I've read some complaints about not being able to get a firmware updates for S599.

How does SandForce 1222 compare to Intel 320's controller?