Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Is there any noticeable real-world difference between using an SATA II SSD versus an SATA III SSD? I know that SATA III offers increased throughput but is there will the average user be able to tell the difference?

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
To answer your question, in %99 percent daily usage, no. Say with Sata 2 you open up a program in two seconds, Sata 3 one second. I have a Apple Sata 2 Toshiba SSD in my Macbook pro, and a OWC SSD Sata 3 in the optibay and cannot tell the difference in daily usage.

If I run a speed test, yes. But most files and applications use 4k blocks random reads that take seconds to open. Most daily tasks are random reads. Reading random reads takes a second or a few seconds. The difference between the two is nil.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
it depends on the drive, some HDD's still don't saturate SATA II but with a good fast SSD you should see a difference, at least sometimes

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
If your MacBook only has a 1.5GBit/s connection, there is no difference because both SATA 2 and SATA 3 SSDs will be throttled.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I post this in every thread:

You can certainly tell the difference between a regular HDD and a SSD. If you look at benchmarks, you'll see that SATA III SSDs are a lot faster than SATA II SSDs. From day-to-day use, it's unlikely you will be able to tell the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.