SATA II vs. SATA III

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahdickter, Jun 9, 2012.

1. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Is there any noticeable real-world difference between using an SATA II SSD versus an SATA III SSD? I know that SATA III offers increased throughput but is there will the average user be able to tell the difference?

2. JalenMc macrumors newbie

Well, SATA II is 3Gb/s, and SATA III is 6Gb/s.

I'll let you decide.

3. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

To answer your question, in %99 percent daily usage, no. Say with Sata 2 you open up a program in two seconds, Sata 3 one second. I have a Apple Sata 2 Toshiba SSD in my Macbook pro, and a OWC SSD Sata 3 in the optibay and cannot tell the difference in daily usage.

If I run a speed test, yes. But most files and applications use 4k blocks random reads that take seconds to open. Most daily tasks are random reads. Reading random reads takes a second or a few seconds. The difference between the two is nil.

4. PAPO macrumors 6502

it depends on the drive, some HDD's still don't saturate SATA II but with a good fast SSD you should see a difference, at least sometimes

5. flatfoot macrumors 65816

If your MacBook only has a 1.5GBit/s connection, there is no difference because both SATA 2 and SATA 3 SSDs will be throttled.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I post this in every thread:

You can certainly tell the difference between a regular HDD and a SSD. If you look at benchmarks, you'll see that SATA III SSDs are a lot faster than SATA II SSDs. From day-to-day use, it's unlikely you will be able to tell the difference.