SATA III Drive In Early 2011 15" OptiBay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by safelder, Aug 1, 2012.

1. safelder macrumors member

I know that the early 2011 15" MBP OptiBay connection is a SATA II connection, so that I couldn't take advantage of the higher speed of a SATA III drive in the OptiBay. But is that simply a performance limitation -- the SATA III drive will only perform at SATA II speeds -- or will things actually get messed up? I've read some posts where people have had issues with SATA III drives in the OptiBay on 15", and OWC has a blog post on the topic, but, as best I can tell, those are folks with late 2011 models where the OptiBay is SATA III, but unreliable.

Anybody with first-hand experience running a SATA III drive in the OptiBay?

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

I'm using a 256GB Crucial M4 in my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro that is currently located in the optibay I installed. No, it won't screw up your mac. In fact, you'll be perfectly fine. Although you will lose SATA III speeds, you honestly will never notice the difference. The TRIM Enabler hack (if you choose to install it) will still work. Good luck!

3. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Unless your using two 6G SSDs why not just put the SSD in the HDD Bay?

4. safelder thread starter macrumors member

Two SATA III SSDs (Samsung 830) is what I'm planning. It's the poor(ish) man's rMBP! :)