SATA power optical bay 2012 model

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pyzon, Nov 28, 2012.

1. pyzon macrumors regular

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if the data and power spare SATA cable in the optical bay of at 2012 Mac Pro is separated or joined?

(searched for vids/info etc..but having a tough time)

Reason I'm asking (don't have Pro yet - on the way), I wanted to install a 2nd drive on the Apricorn Velocity x2 card in the optical bay using the power there and I'm not sure if I need to split the existing spare power cable so I can use it on the drive or if it is already split from the data cable. If I need a Y-Power splitter any good linkages?

2. how long would the Sata data cable need to be from the PCIe slots up to the optical bay (not as the crow flies) but neatly managed behind fan etc.

Cheers! can't wait to get my hands dirty :)

2. pyzon thread starter macrumors regular

3. All Taken macrumors 6502a

1m will be the perfect length with a little bit of play.

----------

I have a 2012 pro and the optical power/data is the same part as 2009/2010 - they're all joined.

4. pyzon thread starter macrumors regular

1mtr great thank you. and also for the info on the sata data/power in the optical bay.

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

6. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Bit delayed its been answered above ;)

7. letscopro macrumors newbie

I'm using the Velocity Solo X2 with 2 SSD's. The second SSD is mounted in the second optical bay. I had trouble trying to route the cable so I just ran it as shown in the image. Probably not the best thing to do, but it works.

sata cable.jpg

The other image shows the adaptor I used to get power to the SSD. I just had to snap off the tabs to get it to work.

Power Cable Adaptor.jpg

8. pyzon thread starter macrumors regular

you had to run it that way because the data cable was too short or what reason did you have to do this? I don't like the look of it to be honest and prefer a neater approach.

I went with 2 1mtr data Data cables and 2 y splitters I posted a link for, (well why have one when you can have two!)

9. letscopro macrumors newbie

The cable was long enough but I couldn't figure out a another way to run it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree, it doesn't look great, but it works and with the cover on I can't see it.

10. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Use a hole in an optical bay, but you have to remove the power supply cables cover inside to see it !

11. mokeiko macrumors 6502

check this thread from Concord Rules

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1486752

mokeiko

12. albert1028 macrumors 6502

You have to break off the tab, but if you want to salvage the optical sata ii, you cannot. I tried looking for a 22pin split connector,but it appears that there is no cable for it unless a person makes it for themselves.

I feel that transintl.com dx4 combined with a SAS card is probably the best solution for adding the most drives with the cleanest solution.