SATA/SATA II Compatibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jciapara, Oct 19, 2008.

1. jciapara macrumors regular

Hi, I've searched the forums but I couldn't find a concrete answer, so if any of you who have experience with this could help me, that'll be great.

I am trying to get myself an external hard drive, but I thought it would be cheaper and also better suited to build my own. But I was looking at the enclosures which are sold on Ebay (Germany) and they say that the drive interface is SATA and external interface USB 2.0 but I also was looking at another store to buy the actual hard drive, I wan't to get a 500GB or 750GB SATA hard drive, but in that site almost all of the 3.5" drives are SATA II, so I was wondering, if a buy the Enclosure which says SATA interface and the SATA II Hard drive, will they work together?.

Thanks for any inputs you might have or if you can recommend a better configuration please do so.

2. cube macrumors G5

"SATA II" does not exist. You cannot know what features the equipment has just by looking if it's labeled "SATA" or "SATA II".

3. jciapara thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for not calling it Serial Advanced Technology Attachment 1.5Gbps and 3.0Gbps. But I'm pretty sure most people know what SATA II is, so please if you're not going to help, don't post, just ignore it.

If there is any additional information needed to see if they are compatible or not it would be great so that way I know what I need to look for.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good grief. You know very well what the OP is referring to and that SATA II is SATA 3.0 Gbit/s. Why do you want to confuse him by saying it doesn't exist even if its not the official name?

OP: SATA 1.5 AKA SATA or SATA I is backwards compatible with SATA 3.0 AKA SATA II However, whether the drive you choose will work in the enclosure also depends on the size limitation of enclosure. An older enclosure may not "see" the all the storage on a newer larger drive. Some, for example will not see more than 750GB. So it's best to ask what the enclosures size limitation is. Personally I'd go with a SATA II enclosure. It shouldn't be any more expensive than a SATA I.

5. cube macrumors G5

There are different features that are labeled "SATA II", so you don't know which ones are present, although I guess it is safe to assume 3Gbps is there.

If something is labeled "SATA" it doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't support 3 Gbps, because, as you said, "SATA 3Gbps" is the correct designa
    tion.

Think before attacking people.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

?. I wasn't attacking, just put off because everyone who knows anything about computers understands SATA I = 1.5 and SATA II = 3.0. Sorry if you thought I was attacking, but trust me if I were my words would have been a lot sharper.

7. cube macrumors G5

My point is that "SATA" does not equal 1.5, and asking for "SATA II" does not equal 3.0 only.

8. jciapara thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I know what to look for now, I've seen some that says it supports up to 500GB and others up to 1000GB so I will get one that fits my needs, I will also try to get one which is SATA II, but there aren't many on German Ebay which have the looks I want haha.

Anyway thanks!!