Sata socket ripped from logic board :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by booyaaah, Apr 9, 2013.

1. booyaaah macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Yesterday I was upgrading my imac with a new ssd and cpu. Because I'm an idiot I tried to pull the sata cable out off it's socket on the logic board instead of leaving it hanging (I blame ifixit ;), their guide said to remove it).

The pins and everything got removed from the logic board and the socket itself got mighty ugly.

I think I found the model of the connector, it's either this: link or this: link

Is it possible to attach a new connector with like glue or something? And where do I buy these connectors?

2. ssdaytona macrumors member

Is this on a the thin iMac (2012)?

If so, then what the logic board socket look like? I bet it's plug and play

3. booyaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope it's an early 2006 imac so I've missed the return period by like a million years. :p

The bottom of the pins are not showing on previous links but they look like this one:
    [​IMG]

the bottom of the pins are bent to fit on top of the logic board.

4. trustever macrumors 6502

If I where in you before risking to do further damnage I will take the Imac to an apple store or to an authorized repair center..

5. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

+1 on this.

Keep the glue away from the computer!

6. booyaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

how about fire, lots of it? :p

No way I will leave this to a repair center, waaaay to expensive.

Everything else works just fine, I've booted up with a external hdd and no errors to be seen.

I've found a socket that might fit for $0.5. I just need to know the best way to attach the pins to the board.

If it doesn't work I guess I will move the hdd to where the optical drive is or buy a mini pcie with sata sockets or something.

So how do I make a bad boy that will look something like this stick to the logic board?

[​IMG]

peanut butter?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

8. booyaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

Well **** me. I just watched a bunch of youtube soldering clips and got nauseous. Apparently the pins who are SMT (Surface Mount Vertical) are stupid hard to get right.

I guess I will take out the logic board (again) and leave it to some repair dude. No apple store though, never. I hope some repair center who take all kinds of brands accept it.

Stupid iMac, stupid sata, stupid logic board, stupid clumsy me.

Thanks!

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I'm not sure why the iMac, Sata and Logic board were stupid? They were fine before you touched them. :D. The best thing to do is get an estimate of what it would cost from an authorized repair center. If the cost is just way too high then look into a future new iMac. Whatever you did when you pulled the Sata socket will show up at some point.

10. Drharrington macrumors member

Eh... Your probably got a need for a new logic board.....

11. booyaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

nope

If the sata socket can't be fixed I'll (as I said) probably move the hdd to the optical drive slot. Why would I need a new logic board when everything works just dandy except the sata thingie? I'm using the mac right now with OSX on an external HDD (as I said), no problemo.

thanks for the replies!

12. Drharrington macrumors member

Sure if the whole point was to use as external - then why all the troubles???

13. booyaaah, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

booyaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, the whole point of my thread was to explain that I wanted to use an external hdd instead of trying to fix a connector on the logic board.

EDIT: I probably should have used another tone in my replies. Playful and ironic doesn't seem to fare well so far.

14. trustever macrumors 6502

Glad to ear you have a back up plan, nowdays no one use often the DVD drive and just in case you can attach it via USB should you need it occasionally..

15. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If I were you, and if I didn't feel like putting a lot of $$$ into an older machine, I'd just boot externally from now on.

The boot time will be slower, but once up and running, there won't be much of a speed difference...

16. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yeah the 2006 iMacs, well alot of the White iMacs are notorious for ripping from the board.
    having worked in an AASP repair shop for awhile. sometimes you can get away with putting them back in, but some of the times theyd have to be sent out to an electronics repair facility.

Maybe try a local college with an electronic workshop class? might be a free or cheap fix :confused:

17. chrfr macrumors 603

The optical drive port on machines of that era isn't SATA, so you won't be able to move the drive without using an adapter, if one exists.

18. booyaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, it's only pata so thats sucks a bit... but I'm still hopeful about fixing the connector on the logic board.

I showed some pictures to a repair man at a local "we'll fix all your **** whatever the brand shop" and he said to bring in the logic board and they would do it. Fingers crossed it works!

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton