Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Hi guys, would like to know if there is any difference in boot time for SATA SSD (rMbp 15" 2012) compared to PCIE SSD (rMbp 15" late 2013). I believe when transferring file PCIE SSD will beat SATA SSD (almost 2x?) in theoretical and real life. but how about booting up time for these two? any differences? I am actually comparing these two machine (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1884906/). Appreciate your help! thanks!

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Nothing noticeable, I'd have to imagine. How often are you re-booting your computer? I only reboot when updates require it or when I'm booting into Windows.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Nothing noticeable, I'd have to imagine. How often are you re-booting your computer? I only reboot when updates require it or when I'm booting into Windows.

Thanks for your fast feedback. I do turn off my laptop after use but seems no big difference in boot up time yeah? hmm..

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My old mid 2009 13" MBP booted in about 25 seconds with the SATA II SSD. My new 2015 rMBP boots in about 15 seconds with the PCIE SSD. Thats not a huge difference in time considering the SATA II SSD scored about 260 MB/s, while the PCIE SSD scores nearly 1400 MB/s.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Booting is more than just reading from disk. It has to set stuff up (CPU), and connecting to the various cloud services you have (network) too.

Waking from Sleep should be far faster, thats what I do.

Waking from Hibernation should be reading the RAM sleepimage file in from disk so may benefit best but who does that regularly.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Booting is more than just reading from disk. It has to set stuff up (CPU), and connecting to the various cloud services you have (network) too.

Waking from Sleep should be far faster, thats what I do.

Waking from Hibernation should be reading the RAM sleepimage file in from disk so may benefit best but who does that regularly.

Ic.. thanks for the advice. So can i say that boot up time will improve only slightly in PCIE SSD (rMbp 15" late 2013) compared to SATA III SSD (in rMbp 15" mid 2012 case)?

Actually I am trying to compare these two model (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1884906/). My vote now is likely to be late 2013 but I am not too sure about it since it is my first macbook and I dont want to regret buying it.. >.<

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'd go with the newer model, except the GPU may not perform as well as you'd like while gaming.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
I'd go with the newer model, except the GPU may not perform as well as you'd like while gaming.

Hi, thanks for ur suggestion. May I know what is your main reason to choose the newer model? yap understand that gt650m superior in gaming but i am currently using laptop with gt630m and imac 2011 HD6750 so i think iris pro 5200 will be on par at least with these two cards? :)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Hi, thanks for ur suggestion. May I know what is your main reason to choose the newer model?

I'd go with the newer model because it's got a better CPU, longer battery life and it's still got some warranty left.

i am currently using laptop with gt630m and imac 2011 HD6750 so i think iris pro 5200 will be on par at least with these two cards? :)

I'm not sure about that, but it looks like it's a little faster according to benchmarks.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi guys, would like to know if there is any difference in boot time for SATA SSD (rMbp 15" 2012) compared to PCIE SSD (rMbp 15" late 2013). I believe when transferring file PCIE SSD will beat SATA SSD (almost 2x?) in theoretical and real life. but how about booting up time for these two? any differences? appreciate your help! thanks!

Boot times mean next to nothing performance wise. And honestly, how often do you actually reboot your computer? If you need instant-on, just use sleep instead.

You definitely shouldn't be basing a purchase on boot times alone.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
I'd go with the newer model because it's got a better CPU, longer battery life and it's still got some warranty left.

I'm not sure about that, but it looks like it's a little faster according to benchmarks.

Hi, thanks for ur suggestion!

----------

Boot times mean next to nothing performance wise. And honestly, how often do you actually reboot your computer? If you need instant-on, just use sleep instead.

You definitely shouldn't be basing a purchase on boot times alone.

Ic thanks a lot for your comment. So do u think i should go with mid 2012? Price difference will be around 200usd cheaper compared to late 2013..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.