SATA SSD vs PCIE SSD boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apoenq, May 22, 2015.

1. apoenq, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

apoenq macrumors member

Hi guys, would like to know if there is any difference in boot time for SATA SSD (rMbp 15" 2012) compared to PCIE SSD (rMbp 15" late 2013). I believe when transferring file PCIE SSD will beat SATA SSD (almost 2x?) in theoretical and real life. but how about booting up time for these two? any differences? I am actually comparing these two machine (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1884906). Appreciate your help! thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nothing noticeable, I'd have to imagine. How often are you re-booting your computer? I only reboot when updates require it or when I'm booting into Windows.

3. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your fast feedback. I do turn off my laptop after use but seems no big difference in boot up time yeah? hmm..

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My old mid 2009 13" MBP booted in about 25 seconds with the SATA II SSD. My new 2015 rMBP boots in about 15 seconds with the PCIE SSD. Thats not a huge difference in time considering the SATA II SSD scored about 260 MB/s, while the PCIE SSD scores nearly 1400 MB/s.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Booting is more than just reading from disk. It has to set stuff up (CPU), and connecting to the various cloud services you have (network) too.

Waking from Sleep should be far faster, thats what I do.

Waking from Hibernation should be reading the RAM sleepimage file in from disk so may benefit best but who does that regularly.

6. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Ic.. thanks for the advice. So can i say that boot up time will improve only slightly in PCIE SSD (rMbp 15" late 2013) compared to SATA III SSD (in rMbp 15" mid 2012 case)?

Actually I am trying to compare these two model (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1884906). My vote now is likely to be late 2013 but I am not too sure about it since it is my first macbook and I dont want to regret buying it.. >.<

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go with the newer model, except the GPU may not perform as well as you'd like while gaming.

8. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for ur suggestion. May I know what is your main reason to choose the newer model? yap understand that gt650m superior in gaming but i am currently using laptop with gt630m and imac 2011 HD6750 so i think iris pro 5200 will be on par at least with these two cards? :)

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go with the newer model because it's got a better CPU, longer battery life and it's still got some warranty left.

I'm not sure about that, but it looks like it's a little faster according to benchmarks.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Boot times mean next to nothing performance wise. And honestly, how often do you actually reboot your computer? If you need instant-on, just use sleep instead.

You definitely shouldn't be basing a purchase on boot times alone.

11. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for ur suggestion!

----------

Ic thanks a lot for your comment. So do u think i should go with mid 2012? Price difference will be around 200usd cheaper compared to late 2013..