SATA superdrive into Macbook Air superdrive enclousre??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Apr 6, 2011.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I've removed the SATA superdrive from my MBP to install a second hard drive. Now I'm left with this spare drive that I'd like to keep using. Sure I could just buy an SATA 9.5mm superdrive enclosure, but none look as nice/run off one USB cable/work as well with the slot-loading drive as the official Apple external superdrive for use with a Macbook Air.

So naturally I'd like to put my original drive inside an external superdrive enclosure. Now I've found a few of these drives listed as faulty on ebay, which would be perfect as I only really want the enclosure, but I did a bit of digging and it seems all of these external superdrives contain IDE drives rather than SATA?? Which will be a problem for me....

Does anybody know of an easy way to fit an SATA drive into one of these apparently IDE superdrive enclosures? Or is it impossible??

2. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    intersting, i am sure you can get ide to sata converters from ebay, but will it all fit in an already cramped superdrive enclosure - give it a ry and let us know ;)

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hahah ok may well do! It'd be great to have my old SATA drive in a sleek looking Mac enclosure. None of the other enclosures I've seen seem to account for slot-loading drives...

4. couto27 macrumors 6502

what happend in your case, did the faulty superdrive enclosure works in you mbp superdrive ?

im in the same situation, i ordered a optibay + ssd , and i already have the faulty air superdrive around.

5. satchow macrumors 6502

I bought an enclosure that looks almost exactly like the SuperDrive enclosure. It's plastic though and about $25, but it looks really nice. I can dig up the link later today if you want it.

As for using a SuperDrive enclosure, there's some chip or something inside that you'd have to desolder for the drive to work on a non-air machine.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76