SATA -> TB adapters/cables. Do they exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidcmc, Jan 7, 2012.

1. davidcmc macrumors regular

Can I use a SSD externaly as a boot drive using TB interface?

My SSD is a 2,5" internal one and uses a SATA interface.
    Is there any adapter/cable to connect it to the Mac TB port?

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

There aren't any SATA<->TB adaptors yet, not counting external drive enclosures that is.

Also, can you boot a Mac off of any external interface...? Would seem a risky proposition, as the computer would almost certainly hang/crash if the system disk was ever disconnected for whatever reason.

3. davidcmc thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, but that would be used in a desktop, which is always standing in the same place there. The external drive would stay always there, behind the iMac.

Obviously, that would be risky for a laptop, since you're always bringing it with you to places and putting it into different locations.

Anyway, it's too sad there isn't any adapter/cable yet.
    TB has been launched almost 1 year ago.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Ikr and i have been waiting for an esata>tb adapter and it hasn't happened either, so i guess its back to the waiting game.

5. davidcmc thread starter macrumors regular

Since LaCie has launched that enclosure, I don't understand why other companies can't launch a simple adapter.

Maybe it's another one of those patent **** issues.

6. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

After reading many articles on the status of TB.... It seems like there might have been a delay in Intel getting hardware developer SDKs out to all the prospective companies.

Why? Who knows for sure but perhaps a back room deal with the current hardware providers that they got an 2011 exclusive in exchange for ... who knows what.

Or it's just the simple truth that Intel was delaying the hardware SDKs for some real reason. It could also be the hardware developers waiting to see if WinTel vendors (other than Sony) embrace the port.

It'll be interesting what might show up at CES... Crossing fingers that Q1 2012 will have a surge of accessories to quench the pent-up demand.

After all ... who wouldn't want.

a TB --> SATA6 adapter
    a TB --> USB3 adapter
    a TB --> PCIe box that would have room for 1 or 2 cards
    a TB --> Gigabit Ethernet adapter

Also 'docks' that would contain one, two, three or more of any/all of the above listed items. The cost of the TB support chips (sold by Intel) will be a major factor in who may or may not step up to the plate to provide this stuff and/or at what cost.

7. davidcmc thread starter macrumors regular

Oh God... I want all of them. :D:D:D

Low latency and insane bandwidth inside a "simple" cable.
    Just imagine being able to connect your SSD to an iMac by using a TB cable.
    Just imagine being able to connect your Radeon 7xxx to an iMac by using a TB cable.

Too much potential, too many possibilities.
    Where are the damn adapters? :(

8. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Yep, I'm with ya 1000%

And yes I'm really kinda surprised that that graphics adapter vendors aren't all over this technology... What are some of their biggest problems when it comes to very high-end cards?

- Needing to build very long cards to squeeze in all the components.
    - Needing buyers to have PC's with extra beefy power supplies to give their cards the juice they require.
    - Needing crazy cooling due to their cards AND the computer itself running so hot.

Imagine for a second if the graphics card engineers had ZERO size constraints and could engineer devices with their own power supply and case that the could be cooled however they wished and wouldn't need to worry about the computer systems internal temp what so ever.

The benefit to the gamer is not needing huge power supplies and extra big cases just so the top-end graphics cards fit AND with having the graphics cards outside the system the case temp should drop quite a bit too.

Also PC gamers with laptops should be all over this too since it would allow them to keep their laptops and just jack into a TB graphics adapter (and big monitor) when they are wanting to game and the rest of the day they can use lean and low power graphics for increased battery life.